Chiropractic medicine is a rehabilitation therapy that makes use of spinal manipulation for overall bodily healing. It is an alternative medical practice that hinges on the fact that the alignment of the spine will facilitate physical healing without a need for some other form of medication. This translates to the fact that chiropractors require a high level of training to practice this method of healing.
Chiropractors require a Doctor of Chiropractic degree to practice. Several universities offer chiropractic training to match aspiring chiropractors up to the necessary level of skill. Check here for more information about one of the universities that offer chiropractic degrees. To take up training in these places, there are admission requirements aspiring students must fulfill. Here are the following requirements:
1. Undergraduate Education
Chiropractic colleges require at least a three-year undergraduate study or 90 semester hours from all prospective students. An average grade around 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is also required. International students need to submit their transcripts to the World Education Services Inc. (WES) or International Education Resource Foundation (IERF) for proper evaluation. After that WES or IERF will send over the transcript evaluation to the designated school for the applicant.
2. Course Requirements
Chiropractic care is primarily a medicine-related course. However, the admission requirements for the course often requires an array of courses. This includes life and physical sciences, social sciences, and humanities courses.
Most of the hours taken are allocated to life and physical sciences courses in most cases. Required accredited hours are usually not less than 24 hours. There should be a sufficient time spent doing laboratory work in at least half of the science courses.
Social sciences and humanities courses are also prerequisites. These other courses prove a broad level of knowledge in your academic study. Take note that most undergraduate degree holders often fulfill these course requirements without any issues.
However, where there are issues concerning some of the subjects taken, admission officers can put you through the necessary steps to take. They make the application process more straightforward as they know what exactly you need to do to make everything better and aligned with the requirements. It’s best to look for one if you’re having trouble while you process your requirements.
3. English Proficiency
There is no guarantee that all the students applying for a chiropractic degree admission have been instructed in English or if the English language is their native country’s first language. These types of students are expected to show proof of being proficient in English as a requirement for an English instructed coursework. There are different score requirements for each university admission. Here are the following English proficiency requirements for a chiropractic degree:
- An official letter attesting the fact that the prospective student was instructed in English at university level.
- A predetermined minimum score in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Acquiring a minimum score in the Academic International English Language Test System (IELTS)
4. Application Process
Without an actual application, there will be no admission. This makes it an essential requirement in getting a chiropractic degree. Applications are often deemed as the most tedious aspect of getting into any colleges. However, there are specific things that make the right application, and it includes:
- Recommendations: It is advisable to obtain the best recommendation letter as a part of your admission requirements. This significantly boosts your overall application process. It can be from a professor, a notable chiropractic professional, or a researcher.
- Quality Essays: An application essay is something you need to write a statement of purpose. Make a high-quality presentation of your skills, aspirations in this document. In addition to the statement of your purpose, you might have a few other questions to answer from your chosen institution.
- Supplemental Materials: If you have previously worked on any creative work this is a great time to showcase them. They are not scored but they boost your viability.
- Application Fee: A payment is required for the application fee. In some cases it is possible to obtain an application fee waiver.
The requirements mentioned above for a chiropractic degree is essential. The applicants must ensure that their application is holistic. It must reflect a high level of writing skills and understanding of the requirements. It must be available to avoid any delays in the application process and the appropriate application fee must be paid in full or waived properly.
Chiropractic practice is a career worth taking up. The outlook for a career as a chiropractor has been exceptionally good in recent years ranging over $50,000 per annum.