Rehabilitation therapy is a method that enables the person to recover from the functional limitations after an injury, illness, or an addiction. Rehabilitation therapy is helping to resume an active and healthy lifestyle as early as possible. All those therapies that are required by a person to return from their pre-illness conditions i.e the physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, respiratory therapy, and rehabilitation therapies fall under these two major categories. Physical therapy focused on increasing the functions in exact areas of the body through physical exercises, tissue manipulation, and treatment. Whereas occupational therapy focuses on techniques that help the patients to return to their daily normal routines from an illness or addiction. Read this complete article to get more information about Rehabilitation therapy Course.
Courses offered under Rehabilitation Therapy
The following are some popular courses that are offered under the field of Rehabilitation therapy course.
- Diploma in Special Education(Hearing Impaired)
- Diploma in Special Education(Visually handicapped)
- Diploma in Special Education(Mental Retardation)
- Bachelor of Science (Hons.) Physical Therapy
- Bachelor in Mental Retardation
- Bachelor of Education(Hearing Impaired)
- Bachelor of Education(Visually handicapped)
- Bachelor of Special Education(Hearing impairment)
- Master of rehabilitation Therapy
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Science in Rehabilitation with Persons of Multiple Disabilities
- Certificate in Rehabilitation Counseling
What is the Eligibility Criteria of Rehabilitation Therapy Course?
The basic requirements to become a rehabilitation therapist are listed below.
- Candidate must be passed in 12th class with a medical stream or its equivalent exam from a recognized board with a minimum of 45% to 50% of aggregate marks.
- In some of the reputed colleges or universities, a separate entrance exam is conducted for admission in the Rehabilitation course which candidates have to clear.
- For admission in the Master’s in Occupational Therapy(MOT), a candidate should be passed in Bachelor of Occupational Therapy(B.O.Th) with at least 50% aggregate marks from an institution or university that is recognized by the UGC
Suitability of Rehabilitation Therapy Course
Those candidates who possess the following given skills are suitable to apply for the course
- Good Communication Skills
- Ability to deal with the stress
- Affectionate nature, patience, kindness, gentleness, Positive attitude
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management skills
- Team working skills
- Ability to develop relationships with the patients and to build their faith and trust.
- Punctuality and ability to work for long hours
Benefits of Rehabilitation Therapy Course
The following are the benefits that a graduate in a rehabilitation therapy course can enjoy.
- They can finds jobs in hospitals, private clinics, or in health centres.
- The course is beneficial to help the patients to increase their functional abilities in a variety of settings, including the classroom, worksite, and in the field of athletic competition, home, and many more.
- This course will also help the students to work with polyclinics, rehabilitation centres, and psychiatric institutions.
- They can also find jobs in Rehabilitation NGOs working for children, elderly people, and disabled, and can also work independently to provide home health care facilities.
Colleges Offering Rehabilitation Therapy Course
The following are the best colleges in India that are currently offering Rehabilitation courses at different levels.
|Name of the College||Location|
|University of Technology||Jaipur|
|National Institute for the Mentally Handicapped (NIMH)||Secunderabad, Telangana|
|All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation||Mumbai, Maharastra|
|All India Institute of Speech and Hearing||Mysore, Karnataka|
|Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped||Mumbai|
|Rayat Bahra University||Mohali|
|Swami Rama Himalayan University||Dehradun|
|SMS Medical College||Jaipur|
|Government Medical College||Thiruvananthapuram|
|Charotar University of Science and Technology||Anand|
|Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences||Kochi|
Career Prospects in Rehabilitation Therapy Course
Nowadays, there are a lot of job areas where a rehabilitation therapist can apply for the job. They are able to find jobs in government, or private hospitals, private clinics, or health care centres. They can also work in collaboration with some polyclinic, psychiatric institutes, or at rehabilitation centers. Armed forced hospitals in India also recruit these specialists doctors with the purpose to provide rehabilitation care to the army personnel of the country. Some of the working areas were a rehabilitation therapist can find job opportunities are listed below.
- Hospitals and Armed Force Hospitals
- Private Clinics
- Special schools
- Health centers
- Residential Care Facilities
- Sports Team
- Community Health Care Centers
- Medical colleges and Universities
- Medical writing
- Nursing homes
- Private clinics
- Research labs
Job types that are available for rehabilitation therapist are:
- Occupational therapist
- Rehabilitation officer
- Teacher and lecturer
Expected Salary of a Rehabilitation Therapist
Freshers in the field of Rehabilitation therapy can start earning money from Rs 8,000 to Rs 10,000 per month. They have alternative options to work full time or part-time to earn money. With the increase in a number of years of experience, the salary of the therapist also increases. Whereas in private hospitals and clinics, the salary package is quite higher.