The banking sector in India is one of the strongest and fast-growing sectors in the world. It lays great importance in the development and growth of the economy in our nation. Banking is one of the careers that the students aspire for and has been considered as one of the most respected professions in our society.
To make a career in this profession, candidates must go through an entrance test especially in the Public Banking Sector. There are basically two types of exams which are conducted in the govt banking sector- Bank clerk and Bank probationary officer.
Bank Clerk Job Description
A bank clerk holds a clerical role or an entry-level job in the Government or Private bank. The key functionary areas of a clerk are- customer services i.e providing services to both the new as well as the existing customers. Once the bank clerk is selected, he/she is trained in specialized areas like an accountant, cashier, etc.
The Job responsibilities of a bank clerk
The clerical post comes with various responsibilities such as:
- The bank clerk has to manage and take care of the customer’s data and services.
- They have to ensure that the customers abide by the KYC guidelines by RBI to prevent the data breach.
- A clerk has to handle customer’s requirement during the passing of cheque, customer data update and withdrawal of slips in the bank.
- The bank clerk has to ensure that the customer’s accounts are up to date and with valid cross-verified data.
- They also provide schemes issued by the bank to their customers.
- He/she is also responsible for helping and directing customers to bank-related facilities like Opening account, applying for a loan, Updating passbook, resolving net banking/ credit/ debit card issues.
Domains provided to a Bank Clerk
There are various domains in which an aspirant can apply for as a clerk. These are-
- Interest Clerk– This domain deals with recording interest owed to saving accounts customers and interest owed to the bank from loans and other investments.
- Loan Clerk– The clerk records and organizes the loan information.
- Statement Clerk- In this domain, the clerk has to prepare the monthly balance sheets of account customers.
- Security Clerk- The clerk is responsible for recording, filing and looks after stocks, bonds ad other investment documents.
- Exchange Clerk– Here the clerk works on international accounts, translating foreign currency into pounds and vice versa.
- Book Keeping Clerk– He/She takes care of records and updates for each customer’s account.
How to become a Bank Clerk?
Recruitment process of a Bank Clerk: The recruitment of a Bank clerk in the Government sector is done on the basis of three types of entrance exams.
- IBPS Clerk
- SBI Clerk
- IBPS Clerk(Gramin Bank)
Eligibility of a Bank Clerk: Candidates willing to become a bank clerk must fulfil the eligibility criteria given below-
- The minimum age requirement is 20 Years and the maximum is 28 years to apply.
- Age Relaxation- The SC/ST candidates shall get a relaxation of 5 Years and OBC can avail relaxation of 3 years to apply.
Educational Eligibility: Candidates can check the qualification for bank clerk below-
- Candidates must have completed graduation from any recognised college/ institution.
- Must be proficient in the regional language.
- They should be able to operate the computer and basic operations
- Must hold an Indian nationality
- A subject of Nepal / Bhutan or the Tibetan Refugee who shifted to India before January 1, 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- The candidate must not hold any criminal record.
How to Prepare for Bank Clerk Job?
Aspiring candidates for clerk jobs in a bank must prepare for the entrance exam with a good strategic plan. As the exam level is hard, one has to be thorough with the various sections to hold a grasp of the concepts.
- The preliminary syllabus comprises of Reasoning, English Language and Numerical Ability.
- The Mains syllabus is based on Reasoning and Computer Aptitude, General/Finacial Awareness, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language.
Salary of a Bank Clerk
Candidates can check the below-given table for the estimated salary slab of a clerk-
|Particulars||Population Above 4.5 Million(Urban)||Population Below 4.5
|Basic Pay||Rs. 11765/-||Rs. 11765/-|
|Special Allowance||Rs. 911.79/-||Rs. 911.79/-|
|Dearness Allowance(DA)||Rs. 5311.58/-||Rs. 5311.58/-|
|City Compensatory Allowances(CCA)||Rs. 0/-||Rs. 0/-|
|Transport Allowances(TA)||Rs. 425/-||Rs. 425/-|
|Total(without HRA)||Rs. 18413.37/-||Rs. 18413.37/-|
|House Rent Allowance(HRA)||Rs. 1176.5/-||Rs. 1058.85/-|
|Gross with HRA||Rs. 19589.87/-||Rs. 19472.22/-|
In the coming years, a large number of positions will be vacant, as many of the bank professionals are getting retired. This is a great opportunity for the young generation to enter into the banking profession and give their contribution to the economical growth of the nation.