Nalanda Open University is the only university in Bihar that is providing education through distance and open education. The university is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi and was established in March 1987 by an ordinance issued by the Government of Bihar. The University is named after the famous Nalanda University of Ancient India.
NOU is the second largest open university of India after Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU). The university offers various Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Diploma, Intermediate and Certificate programmes. Also, the university provides 6 to 9 months certificate course. It is the only university which offered courses on Bihari languages (Magahi, Bhojpuri, Maithili).
Eligibility for Nalanda Open University Admission
Candidates have to fulfil certain criteria for the admission into Nalanda Open University (NOU) which are mentioned below:
- Students must have passed 10+2 examination from a recognized university for applying in UG courses.
- For B.Ed course, candidates must hold a Bachelor's Degree with minimum 45% marks and must have 2 years of teaching experience.
- Candidates must have passed Bachelor’s degree program in the relevant field for applying in B.Lis, M.A., M.Sc., M.Com, MCA, M.Lis, PG Diploma course.
- Candidates must hold a Master’s Degree or M.Phil. Degree with at least 55% marks for applying for PhD program.
- Admission to UG, PG and PG Diploma courses are provided based on merit.
Courses Offered at Nalanda Open University (NOU)
The university offers Degree corses at undergraduate level and Degree as well as Diploma courses at postgraduate level. List of the various courses offered by the university are given here.
Undergraduate Degree Programmes
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Honours
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science (one-year course)
- Bachelor of Computer Applications
Postgraduate Degree Programmes
- Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Master of Science
- Master of Computer Application (MCA)
- Master of Library & Information Science (One Year Course)
- Master in Commerce (M.Com)
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
- Marketing Management
- Financial Management
- Journalism and Mass Communication
- Yogic Studies
- Disaster Management
- Intermediate of Art
- Intermediate of Commerce
- Intermediate of Science
The university offers a nine-month certificate programme in the following fields:
- Library Science
- Clinical Dental Technique
- Dental and Oral Hygiene
- ECG Technique
- Laboratory Technique
- Medical Laboratory Technique
- Physiotherapy and Yoga Therapy
- Operation Theatre Assistant.
Also, the six-month certificate programmes is offered by the university in the languages of Magahi, Bhojpuri, Maithili, Pali, Prakrit, Sanskrit, Urdu.
- In the fields of Disaster Management, Indian Constitution and Panchayati Raj, Abolition of Child Labour, Bio-fertilizer Production, Buddhist Studies, Jain Studies, Child and Women Rights, Child Psychology and Guidance, Christian Studies, Environment Studies, Floriculture Technology, Health and Environment, Food and Nutrition, HIV and Family Education, Insurance Services, Hindu Studies, Islamic Studies, Sikh Studies, Legal awareness among Women, Medicinal and Aromatic Plant, Nutrition and Child Care and Soil Health Management.
Nalanda Open University UG Admission 2020
Nalanda Open University offers one-year B.Lis, two-year B.Ed., three-year B.A. (Hons.), B.Sc., B.Com, BBA, and BCA programs. For applying in B.A. (Hons.), B.Sc., B.Com, BBA and BCA courses, candidates should have passed 10+2 examination in the relevant stream. For the admission into B.Ed course, minimum eligibilty is Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree with 2 years of work experience with 45% marks in aggregate.
Based on the merit in the qualifying examination, candidates will be selected for B.Lis, B.Ed., B.A. (Hons.), B.Sc., B.Com, BBA and BCA courses.
NOU Eligibility for UG Courses
|Courses||Specialization||Minimum Eligibility||Selection Criteria|
|B.Ed.||Education||Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 45% marks in aggregate and 2 years of teaching experience.||Merit-Based|
|B.Lis.||Library and Information Science||Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent|
|B.A. (Hons.)||Economics||10+2 in any stream|
|Journalism & Mass Communication|
|B.Sc.||Botany||10+2 in Science stream|
|B.Com.||Commerce||10+2 in any stream|
|BCA||Computer Applications||10+2 with Mathematics as a subject OR I.A with Certificate in Computing.|
NOTE: 25% concession in admission fees will be given to female candidates.
Nalanda Open University PG Admission 2020
At Postgraduate level, university offers one-year M.Lis, two-year M.A., M.Sc., M.Com., MJMC and three-year and MCA programs. For the admission into M.A., M.Sc., M.Com. and MJMC courses, candidates should hold a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in relevant field. Whereas, to apply for the two-year MCA program, the minimum eligibility is BCA/ B.Sc. (in Computer Science) or Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics as a subject.
The minimum eligibility for applying in M.Lis. is to have a B.Lis degree. For all the PG courses, selection will be done based on the merit in the qualifying examination.
NOU Eligibility for PG Courses
|Course||Specialization||Minimum Eligibility||Selection Criteria|
|MA||Bhojpuri||Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in any subject.||Merit-Based|
|M.Sc.||Botany||Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in relevant field.|
|M.Com.||Commerce||Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce stream.|
|MJMC||Journalism and Mass Communication||Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in any subject OR Post Graduate Diploma in JMC.|
|MCA||Computer Applications||BCA/ B.Sc. (in Computer Science) OR Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics as a subject.|
|M.Lis.||Library and Information Science||B.Lis. degree|
Nalanda Open University PG Diploma Admission 2020
The university offers Postgraduate Diploma programmes in six specialisations. The minimum eligibility for PG Diploma course is that applicants must have Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from recognized university. Also, selection of the candidates for PG Diploma programe is done based on the merit in the qualifying exam.
NOU Eligibility for PG Diploma Course
|Courses||Specialization||Minimum Eligibility||Selection Criteria|
|PG Diploma||Marketing Management||Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.||Merit-Based|
|Journalism and Mass Communication|
|Information & Public Relations|
|Hindi English Translation|
Nalanda Open University Application Process 2020
The application process of Nalanda University (NOU) is done through offline mode. However, candidates seeking admission into PhD must appear for the entrance test conducted by the university. The offline process of application for the admission into Nalanda Open University is as follows:
- Visit the official website and download the application form.
- Fill-in all the details in the downloaded application form.
- Candidates need to submit the filled in application form in person along with the Demand Draft of Rs. 350 drawn in name of “Nalanda Open University, Payable at Patna” to the university address.
- Applicants have to mention the Name, Contact Number, Admission Form Number and the name of the course they are applying for on the back side of the Demand Draft.
- Once the application form is submitted, it will be check by the authority and the candidates will be called for the Entrance Test (for Ph.D.)/ Final Admission formalities along with the required documents (Original) and requisite admission fees.
- Application form can also be obtained from the University campuses by making a payment of Rs. 350/- in cash.
- Candidates can also obtained the admission form through post by making a payment of Rs. 400 through Demand Draft.
Nalanda Open University,
3rd Floor, Biscoumann Bhawan,
Patna, Bihar - 800001
Documents Required for NOU Admission
- 10th and 10+2-mark sheet along with the Passing Certificate
- Migration and Character Certificate
- UG Degree Mark Sheet
- PG Degree Mark Sheet
- Caste Certificate
- 3 self-addressed envelope (size 10 x 4.5 inch)
- 3 stamp sized Photographs
- Medical Certificate
Nalanda Open University Highlights
|University Name||Nalanda Open University [NOU], Patna|
|University Type||Open University|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Entrance Based/ Merit-based|
|Name of Entrance||Entrance Test (for Ph.D.)|