IIT or Indian Institute of Technology was established in 1961 in Hauz Khas, New Delhi. It is a public technical and research university. The current campus has an area of 320 acres (or 1.3 km²) and is bounded by the Sri Aurobindo Marg on the east, the Jawaharlal Nehru University on the west, the NCERT on the south and New Ring Road on the north. In 1963 it was declared under Institutes of National Importance and was given a status of a full university. The Institute offers PhD programs in various fields like Applied Mechanics, Engineering, Instrument Design and Development, Rural Development and Technology, Value Education in Engineering, Textile Technology, etc. Indian Institute of Delhi offers PhD degree both full time and part-time. Admission to the PhD programmes in IIT Delhi is normally made on the basis of an interview conducted by the Department/Centre/School concerned.
IIT Delhi PhD application form last date has been extended till 20 April 2020 due to outbreak of COVID-19.
IIT Delhi PhD Admission 2020 Highlights
Seeking aspirants can check the basic information about IIT Delhi below in the given table:
|Institute Name||Indian Institute Of Technology, Delhi|
|Institute Type||Autonomous Public|
|Approved by||UGC, AICTE|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Entrance Exam or Interview|
IIT Delhi PhD Admission 2020 Schedule
Below mentioned dates are tentative due to outbreak of COVID-19. This may change, till then dates can be followed which are there in the table:
IIT Delhi PhD Admission 2020 Important Dates
|Start date of online application form ||02 March 2020|
|Last date of submission of form & fee||20 April 2020(Extended)|
|Dates for Interview /Test||13 May 2020 - 10 June 2020|
|Class commencement date||27 July 2020|
Stay connected to know the change in dates (if any) in the future.
IIT Delhi PhD Admission 2020 Courses & Eligibility
Get the list of courses offered by the IIT Delhi in PhD:
- Applied Mechanics
- Biological Engineering and Biotechnology
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials and Engineering
- Management Studies
- Textile & Fibre Engineering
- Applied Research in Electronics
- Atmospheric Sciences
- Automotive Research and Tribology
- Biomedical Engineering
- Energy Studies
- Rural Development & Technology
- Sensors, Instrumentation & Cyber-Physical Systems Engineering
- Value Education in Engineering
- Public Policy
- Transportation Research & Injury Prevention Programme
- Biological Sciences
Candidates can check the minimum qualification for admission to full-time PhD programs in IIT Delhi below in the given table:
IIT Delhi PhD Eligibility for Full Time
|Qualifying Degree||Minimum requirement in|
the Qualifying degree for
General / OBC (Non-Creamy
National level exam
M.B.B.S. or equivalent
|Should have minimum 60% marks or 6.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||Qualified GATE / CSIR / UGC-NET /ICAR/ICMR/DST INSPIRE fellowship|
|M. Tech./M.E./M.D. /|
|Have a score of not less than 60% marks or 6.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||NIL|
|B.E. /B. Tech.|
|A candidate seeking should have 70% marks or 7.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||GATE/CSIR/UGC|
Qualifying degree performance will be calculated by aggregating performance overall in the semester/year of the qualifying degree.
IIT Delhi Relaxation for Full-Time PhD Admission 2020
Category-wise relaxation will be given to the candidates which can be read below in the given table:
|SC/ST/PwD category candidates||The candidates will be relaxed by 5% marks in M. Tech./M.E./M.D. / or equivalent and M.Sc./MBA/M.A./ M.B.B.S. or equivalent|
|Aspirants will be relaxed by 5% in B.E. /B. Tech.|
- For candidates having M.A. degree in English will be given a relaxation of 5% marks or 0.5 CGPA.
- MBA degree holders are eligible to apply to the PhD programme in the Department of Management Studies.
- For Assistantship-MBBS candidates will be considered equivalent to M.Tech for admission to the PhD in Centre for Biomedical Engineering.
IIT Delhi Exemptions for Full-Time PhD Admission 2020
Candidates who will be waived from the requirement of GATE/national level exam are listed below:
- Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs) registered aspirants pursuing B.Tech / B.E/Integrated M.Tech/Integrated M.Sc. program(or any other program of minimum 04 years duration, admission to which will be done based on JEE Main), who holds a degree of 3 years or more with 08 CGPA or more. Before registering for PhD must have 80% marks if marks are the primary mode of evaluation.
- Graduates of CFTIs in the programs B.Tech / B.E/Integrated M.Tech/Integrated M.Sc. program with a final graduation CGPA of more than 8(80% aggregate marks, if marks are the primary mode of evaluation.)
- M.A or M.Sc. graduates from IITs with CGPA 8.00 or above will be waived.
IIT Delhi PhD Admission 2020 for Part-Time & Sponsored(Full-Time)
The following eligibility conduction applies to those who want to take admission in part-time PhD programs of IIT Delhi:
|Programme||Qualification ||Work Experience |
|PhD||M.E./M.Tech./M.S.(R)/M.D. or equivalent||NIL|
|B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc./M.A./M.B.A./MBBS or equivalent, from CFTIs/Central Universities||1 Year|
|B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc./M.A./M.B.A./MBBS or equivalent, and working in IIT Delhi||1 Year|
|B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc./M.A./MBA/MBBS or equivalent, from institutions other than CFTIs/Central Universities||2 Years|
- PSUs employees or Government departments or Research and Development organisations or Private Industries(approved by Faculty Boards) are eligible to apply.
- Minimum qualifications for these applicants is the same as for full-time candidates, except the requirement for the national exam is waived.
- For part-time candidates from outside NCR- there is a minimum residency requirement of 06 months. The authority may ask for more months based on the courses recommended as well as background.
- Sponsored candidates - should submit the " Sponsorship Certificate" on a proper letterhead stating the following:
- For the period of his/her studies in the programme, the candidate would be treated as on duty with usual salary and allowances; and
- That he/she will be fully relieved and granted study leave for a minimum period of 3
years (2 years for M. Tech. and equivalent degree holders).
IIT Delhi PhD Admission 2020 Seat Reservation
A category-wise seat reservation can be checked below for admission into PhD programs of IIT Delhi.
| Non-Creamy layer OBC candidates||15%|
| Persons with Disability (PwD)||5%|
|EWS (Economically Weaker Section)||10%|
Check the details GATE 2020, CSIR UGC NET 2020 here.
IIT Delhi PhD Admission 2020 Financial Support
Assistantship amounts for Full-time PhD candidates of session 2020 are mentioned below in the table:
|Assistantship Period||Amount ||Hours/week assistance to be|
|For the first 2 years of registration||Rs 31000/- P.M||08|
|For the next 3 years of Registration||Rs 35000/- P.M||08|
The above-mentioned details may undergo change as per the condition.
Click here to know about ICMR JRF 2020
IIT Delhi PhD Admission 2020 Application Process
Candidates can apply for their admission to PhD in IIT Delhi by following the below steps:
- Visit the official website of the IIT Delhi
- Then go to the Admission section at the top of the home page.
- Click on "PG Admission including PhD"
- Then click on " New Registration" and fill the asked details viz; email, contact number, DOB, title first name, etc. and submit.
- Then after the registration login again with login credentials i.e. user-name and email id.
- After that fill the other details like educational details, etc.
- Make the fee payment. Without a fee, the application will be rejected. Open OBC category candidates will have to pay Rs 200/- and SC/ST/PwD categories will have to submit Rs 50/-. Any bank charges will be borne by the candidate.
- Must make the printout of the filled form and get the printout of it for all future references.