JEST 2023: JEST or Joint Entrance Screening Test or National Eligibility Test is organised by Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) annually at a national level. The candidates who wish to pursue a PhD or Integrated PhD need to appear for the same. There are a good number of colleges that consider JEST scores for the intake of students in the above-mentioned fields. Aspirants of Physics, Computer Science, and Biological Science who wish to study further and in-depth about these fields must give this article a read as it will give them a brushed up idea of how to make an appearance in JEST 2023 followed by admission in the colleges.
- A non-refundable application fee of Rs.800 (Rs.400 for SC/ST Male applicants and Non-SC/ST Female applicants) is required to be paid online in order to complete the application. Application Fee is waived for female applicants belonging to SC/ST category.
- JEST 2023 Examination is scheduled to be held on 19 February, 2023 (Tentative).
- JEST 2023 Application form will release in last week of January 2023. Interested candidates can apply for JEST 2023 as soon the Application portal opens.
JEST 2023 Exam Status
Candidates can check the JEST 2023 exam status from the below table:
Joint Entrance Screening Test 2023 Status
|Application process started|
JEST 2023 Important Dates
Candidates can note all the important dates for JEST 2023 from the table below.
JEST 2023 Schedule (Tentative)
|Starting of application form||28th January 2023|
|Last date to submit application forms||25th February 2023|
|JEST Exam date||11th March 2023|
|JEST result date||TBA|
JEST 2023 Application Form
JEST 2023 application form will be made available from January month on the official website. Candidates can check all the essential points related to the application form mentioned below:
- The application form will be available in online mode only on the official website of SERB.
- Candidates need to register themselves before filling the application form and generate a login ID and password by providing a valid email ID and mobile number.
- Candidates must fill every detail carefully.
- Upload scanned copy of recent photograph and signature in the prescribed format.
- Candidates have to make payment through online mode.
- Candidates are advised to take a printout of an application form for future reference.
Programs that are provided through JEST 2023
The Domain under which the Aspirants can pursue their PhD or Integrated PhD is stated below:
- Theoretical Computer Science
- Neuron Science
- Computational Biology Fields
JEST 2023 Application Fee
Candidates can check the category wise JEST application fees in the mention below table:
JEST 2023 Registration Fees
Category of Candidates
Mode of Payment: Candidates can pay fees online mode by using the following modes.
- Debit card
- Credit card
- Net banking
Note: Female SC/ST candidates are not supposed to pay any Fee their application for JEST 2021 is free of cost.
How to apply for JEST 2023?
The candidates can follow the given steps to fill the online application form of JEST:
- Visit the official website of JEST i.e jest.org.in.
- Register yourself by entering the email id and mobile number then click on the submit button
- Thereafter a username and password are sent to the candidate.
- Now login with the sent username and password and fill the form with personal details, academic records as per the documents.
- Then, select the discipline of the JEST exam, select the test center.
- Thereafter, upload documents and pay the requisite application fee.
- After the fee payment, candidates may click on the submit button for the final submission of the application form.
- As the form is now submitted, candidates may take a printout of the application form for further use.
JEST 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must ensure their JEST 2023 eligibility before filling the online application form. Interested candidates must go through the eligibility criteria which can also be found on the official website.
- For Ph.D. Physics: Candidates must have an M.Sc degree in Physics from any recognized institute. And some colleges also accept the B.Tech/M.Sc/B.E/M.Tech/M.E in Physics and Mathematics.
- For Ph.D. in Theoretical Computer science at IMSc: Candidates must complete M.Sc/M.Tech/M.E in Computer science or other stream related to computer science.
- Ph.D. in Neuroscience at NBRC: Candidates should have B.Tech/B.E/MCA/M.Sc degree in computer science.
- Integrated M.Tech-Ph.d at IIA: Candidates should possess the degree of M.Sc(Physics and Mathematics), Post B.Sc degree in optoelectronics and optics, Radiophysics & Electronics.
JEST 2023 Admit Card
Candidates who have successfully submitted their application forms will get their JEST 2023 Admit Card on the official website by the first week of May 2023. Candidates must go through the given below points regarding admit card:
- Candidates have to log in with their user ID and password to download the admit card.
- Candidates need to enter the required details.
- Candidates must check every detail carefully.
- Admit card contains details such as the candidate's name and date of birth, exam date and time, exam centre, and address.
- Candidates must keep the print of their admit card for examination and further process.
- If candidates are found without Admit Card in the examination hall, there are chances that the authorities might not allow them to sit for the examination.
JEST 2023 Exam Pattern
JEST Exam Pattern 2023 is given below which by in large should be followed by all the students to prepare beforehand and develop ways to score well in the examination.
JEST Entrance Exam Pattern 2023
Mode of Examination
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
180 minutes (3 hours)
Below stated are the different sections along with their marking scheme:
No. of Questions
JEST 2023 Syllabus
Candidates can check the JEST 2023 Syllabus which is mentioned below so that the candidates can prepare accordingly for the Test:
- Physics: This section will be carrying various topics such as Mathematical Methods, Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism & Optics, Quantum Mechanism, Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics, and Electronics.
- Theoretical Computer Science: This section will consist of topics like Analytical Reasoning & Deduction, Discrete Mathematics, Graph Theory, Combinatorics, Data Structure & Algorithm, and Principle of Programming.
JEST 2023 Preparation Tips
JEST 2023 Preparation Tips are posted below which are useful for all the candidates appearing for the Examination:
- Students must go through the examination syllabus before they start preparing for it.
- Students should look up famous books related to the syllabus or if there is a book available for that particular examination that includes practice sets and previous years.
- It is advisable to start preparing for any examination at least 6 months before the scheduled date.
- Students must keep extra preparatory months in hand to revise whatever they have studied for the examination.
JEST 2023 Answer Key
JEST Answer Key 2023 will be available on the official website after the commencement of the examination. Students can cross-check their response with the answer key and if they have any objection regarding the posted answer key then they can put it up to the officials.
JEST 2023 Result
JEST Results 2023 will out online on the official website. It is uploaded in the candidate's login and candidates can check it by entering e-mail id/username and password. It is important to note that JEST score is only valid for 1 year. Hence, on the basis of JEST 2023, the candidates will get admission only in session 2021-22. The result will contain information like:
- Candidates Name
- Roll number
- Overall Rank
- Overall Marks scored etc.
- A copy of the Scorecard would be beneficial in future as it will be referred at almost all times during the admission procedure.
JEST 2023 Counseling
JEST 2023 Counselling will start soon after the exam. Those who will qualify for the exam will only be called for the counselling process. The essential documents students are supposed to carry for their counselling is stated below:
- 12th mark sheet & passing certificate
- Graduation Mark sheet
- JEST 2023 Admit card
- JEST 2023 Scorecard
- Passport size photographs
- Domicile Certificate
- Category Certificate etc.
Participating Institute List
- Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital: Astronomy and Astrophysics, and Atmospheric Physics.
- Bose Institute, Kolkata
- Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai
- Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad
- International Centre for theoretical sciences (TIFR), Bangalore
- Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Tirupathi
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata
- Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata
- TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata
- The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai
- Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar
- Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar
- Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore
- National Brain Research Centre, Manesar
- National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune
- National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar
- Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
- Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore
- Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
JEST Exam Centres 2023
Candidates must check the JEST 2023 Exam centres list:
JEST 2023 Highlights
Candidates can check the given mentioned table regarding the JEST 2023 basic information:
|Exam name||JEST(Joint Entrance Screening Test)|
|Conducting Body||Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)|
|Frequency ||Once a year|
|JEST official website||Click Here|
|Purpose of JEST||To pursue a PhD or Integrated PhD|
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) is established in 2009 under the government of India by an act of Parliament of India. SERB is chaired by the Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Science & Technology and other senior government officers and respected scientist. Prof. Sandeep Verma is the secretary of the Science and Engineering Research Board. SERB is affiliated by Department of Science & Technology and its headquarters is in New Delhi.