IIT JAM 2023 Exam Pattern will be released by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee. Indian Institutes of Technology Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. 2023 will be conducted in February 2023. IIT JAM exam will be conducted to provide admissions to M.Sc. (Two Years), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-PhD Dual Degree, and other Post-Bachelor Degree Programmes at the IITs and Integrated PhD Degree Programmes at the IISc to offer quality higher education in their respective disciplines.
IIT JAM 2023 Exam Pattern
Candidates must have all the relevant information related to the IIT JAM 2023 exam pattern so that they are well aware of the structure of the question paper. This will help them to fetch good marks and hence qualify the IIT Joint Admission Test
for M.Sc. IIT JAM Exam Pattern 2023 is provided in detail in this section hereby:
- There will be an online Computer Based Test (CBT) where the candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen.
- Exam Duration will be of 3 hours (for all the 6 test papers).
- Question Paper will be available in English language only.
- Furthermore, there will be 60 questions in total carrying a total of 100 marks.
- Besides this, the entire paper will be divided into three sections, A, B and C and the candidates must compulsorily attend all the sections.
- Also, the candidate will get 0 marks for the unattempted questions.
- In Section-A (MCQ), the wrong answer will result in negative marks. For each wrong answer to one mark questions, one-third marks will be deducted and similarly, for each wrong answer to two marks questions, two-third marks will be deducted.
- In Section-B (Multiple Select Questions- MSQ), there is no negative and no partial marking provision. There is no negative marking in Section-C (NAT) as well.
- The candidates are required to select the answer for MCQ and MSQ type questions using the mouse. The answer for NAT questions can be entered using a virtual numeric keypad (the keyboard of the computer will be disabled).
- Candidates must not bring any calculator with them as the institute has provided the facility for the online virtual calculator.
Questions in each section will be of different types as mentioned below:
- This section will contain a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) involving 10 questions of one mark each and 20 questions of two marks each.
- Each MCQ has four options out of which only one choice is the correct answer. Candidates can mark the correct answer by clicking the choice.
- This section will contain a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions (MCQs) carrying two marks each.
- Each MSQ is similar to MCQ but with the difference that MSQ may have one or more than one correct choice(s) out of the four given choices.
- Also, the candidate will get full credit only if he/she selects all the correct answer(s) only and no wrong answers.
- This section will contain a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions involving 10 questions of one mark each and 10 questions of two marks each.
- For these NAT type questions, the answer is a signed real number, which needs to be entered using the virtual numeric keypad on the monitor.
- Furthermore, no choices will be shown for NAT questions.
Test Papers in IIT JAM 2023
Following are the different sections in which IIT JAM 2023 exam will be conducted:
- Biotechnology (BT)
- Chemistry (CY)
- Geology (GG)
- Mathematics (MA)
- Mathematical Statistics (MS)
- Physics (PH)
IIT JAM 2023 Exam Schedule
JAM 2023 Online Exam will be conducted in two sessions through online mode (CBT). The schedule for both the sessions of JAM 2023 is given in the table below:
Exam Schedule of IIT JAM
Test Papers and Codes
14 February 2023 (Sunday)
9:30 AM to 12:30 PM
Mathematical Statistics (MS) and Physics (PH)
2:30 PM to 5:30 PM
Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG) and Mathematics (MA
The number of Test Papers Allowed:
An applicant can appear in either one or two test paper. However, a candidate can appear in two test papers only if they are not scheduled in the same session.
Note: Candidates can visit the JAM 2023 website to get further details about the pattern of questions for JAM 2020, including examples of the questions. Candidates will also be able to give the mock test through a 'Mock Test' link that will be made available on the website on a date closer to the examination.