The National Aptitude Test for Architecture or NATA is a national level examination conducted for admissions into 5 years B.Arch course into various government and private institutions and universities.
Knowing the exam pattern and scheme of evaluation prior to the examination would help the candidates understand the pattern well in advance and prepare accordingly. The article further gives a clear description of the exam pattern and evaluation of NATA 2021.
NATA 2021 Exam Pattern
The below mentioned are a few important points about the exam pattern of NATA 2021:
- Language of the exam: The examination will be conducted in the English language.
- Duration of the exam: The examination will be conducted for a total duration of 3 hours. The aptitude section, Part-A will be conducted for 1 hour and the drawing section, Part-B will be conducted for a duration of 2 hours.
- Number of papers: The examination will have two papers, Part-1 and Part-2.
- Number of questions: Part 1 of the paper consists of 60 questions from Mathematics and Aptitude. Part 2 of the paper consists of 2 questions of 40 marks each.
- Type of questions: Part 1 of the paper consists of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) type of questions. Part 2 of the paper consists of drawing questions that have to be answered in an additional provided during the examination.
- Scheme of evaluation: Each correct answer will be awarded 2 marks and there will be no negative marking.
Section-Wise NATA 2021 Exam Pattern
The exam consists of two parts majorly. Part-A is completely focused on testing the Mathematics and Aptitude skills of the candidate. Part-B is the drawing test which focusses on testing the drawing and imaginative skills of the candidate. The entire exam shall be conducted in the English language only. The consolidated pattern is as below:
|Mode of Exam|
Mathematics (20 Questions)
20 x 2
General Aptitude (40 Questions)
40 x 2
Drawing (2 Questions)
2 x 40
Paper and Pencil
Mathematics and Aptitude Section:
This section consists of 60 questions and a duration of 60 minutes. The mathematics section has 20 questions and aptitude section has 40 questions. Each correct answer is awarded 2 marks and a wrong answer is awarded zero marks. There will be no negative marking for NATA 2021.
This section consists of 2 questions of 40 marks each. The candidates are required to use their imagination vividly for this section. This section is given 2 hours. There are a few important points about the evaluation of the drawing section every candidate needs to know. They are mentioned below:
- The candidates are required to sketch the given object proportionately and present it in an appealing manner such that it looks attractive and apt.
- Perspective drawing plays a very important role for NATA 2021 and the candidate’s skill in this aspect is checked in the drawing section.
- The surroundings must be visualized properly by the candidates and the effect of light, shadows cast by the objects etc. must be represented properly.
- Three dimensional elements are given and they must be combined and properly composed to form the required buildings or structures.
- A few shapes and forms are given in the examination. The candidates are required to form interesting two-dimensional structures.
- Proper scales and proportions must be followed by the candidate.
- Proper colors must be used in the examination to create proper harmony.
- The drawings must reflect the day-to-day experiences of the candidate through pencil sketches asked in the examination.
The drawing section shall be evaluated by more than one examiner and the marks given by all the examiners will be averaged. The examiners will evaluate the candidate’s drawing skills, imagination skills and observation skills.