JEE Main 2020 Eligibility Criteria is set by the exam conducting body - National Testing Authority (NTA). Joint Entrance Exam is a National level exam conducted twice in a year - in January and April. The candidates must know all the information related to the eligibility before filling the application form. Candidates are advised to check whether they are eligible for the JEE main exam or not. Therefore, candidates can go through the whole article below to know about officially announced eligibility of JEE Main 2020.
The best rank calculator of JEE Main is released by Entrancezone and students can calculate rank now.
JEE Main Important Update
- Though many changes have been made in JEE Main 2020 Exam pattern this time by the conducting authority, no major change has been made in the eligibility criteria.
JEE Main 2020 Eligibility Criteria
The detailed information about JEE Main 2020 Eligibility is provided in this section. The candidates must carefully go through the article to get the necessary information about the eligibility for JEE Mains 2020. The application will be rejected if the candidate does not match the eligibility criteria.
- Age Limit - For appearing in the JEE (Main) examination, there is no age limit for the candidates. The candidates who have passed the Class 12th examination in 2018, 2019 or appearing in 2020 irrespective of their age can appear in JEE (Main) Examination – 2020. The candidates should satisfy themselves about the JEE Main eligibility of age limit requirements of the Institutes in which he/she is desirous of taking admission.
- Year of Appearance in Qualifying Examination (QE) - Only those candidates who have passed their Class 12th Board Examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2018 or 2019; or those who are appearing or passing Class 12th Examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2020 are eligible to appear in both January 2020 and April 2020 JEE Main Examination. Candidates who passed Class 12th/Qualifying examination in 2017 or before as well as those who will appear in such examination in 2020 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE (Main) – 2020.
- Number of subjects in the Qualifying Examination (QE) - Candidates must have taken at least five subjects in class 12th/qualifying examination to be eligible for writing JEE (Main)-2020. The candidates who have taken four subjects are not permitted to write JEE 2020, and if such candidates appear in JEE Main 2020 by furnishing wrong information, their rank/result will not be declared.
- Diploma Holders: The candidates who have done a diploma can also apply for this exam but in IITs only.
- Number of Attempts: There is no limit on the number of attempts to apply for this exam.
JEE Main 2020 Category Reservations
In case of institutes run by the Central Government, please check the category-wise seat reservation applicable in the table below:
Reservation of Seats in JEE Main Exam
|General-Economically Weaker Section(GEN-EWS)
|Scheduled Caste (SC)
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)
|Other Backward Classes - Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL)
|Persons with Disabilities (PwD)
JEE Main 2020 Eligibility Criteria for Droppers
NTA has not laid any specific or separate JEE Main eligibility criteria for droppers. If a candidate has dropped a year for preparation or other reasons, they need to check the criteria mentioned above. Also, conducting the exam twice a year - January session and April session will reduce the chances of dropping a year, and droppers would not have to waste a full year.
Provisions for Persons with Disabilities
There are specific provisions formulated by the NTA conducting authority for Persons with Disabilities. These are mentioned below:
- The candidates with a disability should fill in the type and percentages of disability correctly in the online application form for JEE Main 2020.
- Only the visually challenged candidates, who have 40% or more disability, will be provided a Scribe/Reader on the request of the candidate. In no case, the candidates will be allowed to bring their scribe.
- Such a candidate will have to submit the request in writing to the Centre Superintendent for the same at least one week before the examination date.
- The Centre Superintendent will identify the scribe/ reader students who are appearing in class X. In case a request is received from the candidate, he/she would be allowed to meet the scribe a day before the examination to verify the suitability of the scribe.
- One hour compensatory (extra) time will also be allowed to the candidates with 40%, or more disability irrespective of the fact that the candidate(s) is/are availing the facility of scribe/reader.
JEE Main 2020 Eligibility for Admissions to NITs, IIITs and CFTIs
Candidates are requested to go through the below points to know the JEE eligibility 2020 for admissions into NITs, IIITs and CFTIs:
- The candidates need to score at least 75% marks (65%- for SC/ST) to get admissions into IITs. NITs, CFTIs, and other institutions through CSAB (Central Seat Allocation Board)/JoSAA (Joint Seat Allocation Authority).
- The admission will be provided to the candidates based on All India Rank which they have scored in the exam.
- The eligibility criteria decided by the Council of Architecture for admission to B.Arch. Course other than NITs, IIITs, CFTIs: “No candidate shall be admitted to architecture course unless she/he has passed an examination at the end of the qualifying examination with 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics and also 50% marks in aggregate of the qualifying examination”.
- For B.Planning, the candidates should have passed the qualifying examination with 50 % marks in Mathematics and 50% marks in aggregate of the qualifying examination.
JEE Main 2020 List of Qualifying Subjects
Below is the table providing the information on Admission criteria for JEE Mains 2020 list of qualifying subjects required for the admissions into engineering and architecture courses:
JEE Main 2020 Eligibility Criteria
||The candidates must have passed their 10+2 with Physics, Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with Chemistry, Biotechnology, Biology and technical vocational as one of the subjects.
||Candidates should have Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry as core subjects.
||Candidates must have Mathematics as one of the core subjects.
Eligibility for JEE Advanced 2020
Candidate must have passed the final examination of Class 12 or equivalent qualifying examination with at least 75% aggregate marks (65% for SC, ST, and PwD) for appearing in JEE Advanced 2020, or being in the top 20 percentile of the successful candidates in their respective Board examinations.
- Those appearing in these examinations in 2020 can also appear in JEE (Advanced)- 2020 provisionally and these candidates would also have to fulfill the above requirements.
- The IITs have specific eligibility criteria for admission, which includes an age bar, limited number of attempts and year of passing class 12th or equivalent; candidates are advised to refer to the JEE (Advanced) 2020 website for details.
- All the candidates aspiring to take admission to the undergraduate programs at IITs for the year 2020 will have to appear in the B. E. /B. Tech. of JEE (Main)-2020.
- Based on the performance in the B. E. /B. Tech. of JEE (Main)-2020, number of top candidates as per the requirement of JEE (Advanced) (including all categories) will be eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced)-2020.
- A candidate can attempt JEE (Advanced) a maximum of two times in consecutive years irrespective of whether or not he/she passed the Qualifying Examination.
- The candidates, who have attempted JEE (Main) /JEE (Advanced) in 2018 or earlier, are not eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced)–2020.
- The candidate who had taken admission in any institute other than IITs in 2019 is eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced)–2020 provided that the candidate satisfies other eligibility criteria.