Maulana Azad National Fellowship (MANF) for Minority Students 2021 is to provide five year fellowships in the form of financial assistance to students from minority communities, notified by the Central Government, to pursue M. Phil and Ph.D. The Fellowship will be implemented by the Ministry of Minority Affairs through UGC for students belonging to the minority communities. The fellowship holders under this Fellowship will be known as Ministry of Minority Affairs scholars.
The scheme covers all Universities/Institutions recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) as under :
- Central/State Universities (including constituent and affiliated institutions) included under Section 2(f) of UGC Act, 1956 and having valid accreditation from NAAC.
- Deemed Universities under Section 3 of UGC Act, i.e., Institution for higher education notified by Central Government to be deemed University, in consultation with UGC and having and having valid accreditation from NAAC.
- Institution fully funded by State / Central Government and empowered to award degrees.
- Institutions of National Importance as notified by Ministry of Human Resource Development. (mhrd.gov.in/institutions-national-importance )
MANF 2021 Scope of the Fellowship
The Fellowship will cater the minority community students pursuing regular and full-time research studies leading to award of an M.Phil/Ph.D degree within India only. This will enable them to be eligible for employment to the posts with M.Phil and Ph.D as prerequisites, including the posts of Assistant Professors in various academic institutions.
UGC will be the nodal agency for implementing the Fellowship and ensure that the MANF Scheme is also included in the Notification/Press Release to be issued by the National testing Agency (NTA) for UGC-NET and Joint CSIR-UGC NET examinations.
MANF 2021 Eligibility Criteria
A candidate has to fulfill the following conditions to be eligible for award of this
- He/she should belong to one of the minority communities notified under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992, viz., Buddhist, Christian, Jain, Muslim, Sikh, Zoroastrian (Parsi).
- Prior clearance of UGC-NET or Joint CSIR-UGC NET examination will be a prerequisite for award of Maulana Azad National Fellowship for minority students for M.Phil/Ph.D.
- The eligibility conditions will be as per notification for UGC-NET and Joint CSIR-UGC-NET examinations.
- The Minority Community candidates, who have already secured admission and qualify NET examination will be given preference. Such candidates will be required to join the fellowship within 3 months of the issue of the JRF award letter. The date of commencement of the fellowship shall be the date of declaration of result of MANF or date of joining, whichever is later.
- In case sufficient candidates, who have already secured admission are not available, candidates who have not yet secured admission will also be selected in the order of merit in the NET examination. Such candidates will be eligible to receive fellowship under MANF, subject to admission for M.Phil./Ph.D. in research institutions. The validity period of the offer is three years w.e.f. the date of issue of the JRF Award letter under the scheme.
- A scholar is eligible to receive only one fellowship at a time. The scholar is required to declare that he/she will not accept/receive any other monetary benefit/scholarship/fellowship from any other source. In other words, a scholar who is awarded a fellowship under this scheme shall not accept any other fellowship/scholarship or hold any appointment, paid or otherwise, or receive
any emoluments, salary, stipend etc. from any other source during the tenure of the award (except in case of ‘academic leave’ of one year). In case, a scholar is already in receipt of any scholarship/fellowship, he/she will have to relinquish either the previous scholarship/fellowship/ any other monetary benefit or to forgo the selection under this scheme.
- A scholar who does not complete his/her research work during the period of fellowship shall not be eligible to apply again under this scheme. Similarly, a scholar who has completely or partially availed any fellowship earlier shall also not be eligible for fellowship under this scheme.
- Employees of any University/ College/ Educational Institutional/ Central/ State/ UT
Government shall be excluded from availing fellowship, even if they are on Study
Leave or EOL to pursue the M.Phil./Ph.D. course.
MANF 2021 Mode of Selection and Number of Slots
- The total number of slots for the fellowships to be awarded under the scheme is 1000 per year. Out of 1000 slots available under this scheme, 750 will be allocated for subjects under National Eligibility Test – Junior Research Fellowship (NET JRF) of UGC and the remaining 250 for Science category students through CSIR UGC NET-JRF joint test for science streams. The NET is held twice in a year and 500 selections will be made from each NET.
- 30% of the fellowship shall be earmarked for women students; the remaining 70% will be general. In case there are a shortage of women candidates, the fellowship can be passed on to male students of the same minority community.
- The reservation for differently able students shall be made as per UGC norms and in a horizontal manner.
- Community wise selection of scholars at the national level will be done on the basis of their pro-rata population.
- Un-utilized Fellowship slots of any community will be transferred to eligible
Scholars of other Notified Minority Communities purely on merit basis at the
MANF 2021 Duration of Fellowship
The duration of the fellowship is as under:
|Name of the
|Maximum duration||Admissibility of JRF and
Or date of submission of
dissertation, whichever is earlier
Or date of submission of Ph.D. thesis, whichever is earlier
|2 Years||Remaining 3 Years|
|M.Phil. + Ph.D.||5 years
Or date of submission of Ph.D.
thesis, whichever is earlier
|2 Years||Remaining 3 Years|
Rate of Fellowship
The rate of fellowship for JRF and SRF will be at par with the UGC fellowship as amended from time to time. Presently these rates are as follows:
|Fellowship in Science Humanities and Social Science||@ Rs.31,000/- p.m. for initial two
@ Rs.35,000/- pm. for remaining tenure (SRF)Fellowship in Engineering & TechnologyContingency for Humanities & Social [email protected] Rs.10,000/- p.a. for initial two years
@ Rs.20,500/- p.a. for remaining tenureContingency for Sciences, Engineering & [email protected] Rs.12,000/- p.a. for initial two years
@ Rs.25,000/- p.a. for remaining tenure scores/Reader assistance (All subjects)@ Rs.2,000/- p.m. in cases of physically
and visually handicapped candidate
Download MANF Guidelines Here.
Maulana Azad National Fellowship for Minority Students 2021 Highlights
|Name of Scholarship||Maulana Azad National Fellowship|
|Eligibility||Buddhist, Christian, Jain, Muslim, Sikh, Zoroastrian (Parsi)|
|Regulating Bodies||National testing Agency (NTA) for UGC-NET and Joint CSIR-UGC NET examinations|