NEST 2020 is schedueld to be held on 29 September 2020. National Entrance Screening Test will be organized jointly by the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) Bhubaneswar and the University of Mumbai - Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CEBS), Mumbai. This is a national entrance screening test conducted every year to offer admission into 5 years of Integrated M.Sc programmes in Biological, Mathematical, Chemical and Physical sciences. The exam is to be held in the 91 cities all over India. The candidates must read the complete article to get full information about the NEST exam viz; application form, eligibility, admit card, etc.
- NEST 2020 exam date has been postponed, new date is 29 September 2020.
- The admit card will be issued few days prior to the exam.
NEST 2020 Admit Card
Candidates can check the information regarding NEST 2020 Admit card in the below-given points:
- The admit card will be released online soon.
- Candidates have to download their Admission Ticket from the official website.
- Hall Ticket will not be sent by any other medium.
- Admit card downloading link is available till the examination day.
- NEST committee reserves the right to cancel any of the test cities without notice to candidates.
NEST 2020 Exam Pattern
Candidates must read the given below topic regarding NEST Exam Pattern 2020:
Paper Pattern for NEST 2020
|Exam Mode||Online(Computer Based Test)|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions|
|Duration||180 Minutes(3 Hours)|
Section 1: General
- There is no negative marking in section 1
- In the 2nd sections, for certain questions, there will be negative marking for incorrect answers
- The questions for which there will be one or more correct answers, marks will be given when all answers will be marked.
Section-wise marks distribution for the NEST entrance exam
The section-wise marks distribution for NEST are given in the table:
Section-wise division of Marks for NEST 2020
|Section 1||General Section||30|
NEST 2020 Application Form
The application form had been closed till on 14 June 2020. Candidates can check the all-important information regarding NEST 2020 Application form in the given below points:
- The application form is available on the official website of the conducting body.
- Candidates have to submit their application via online mode only.
- The valid e-mail id & contact number is needed to get future notifications.
- Applicants have to upload required documents such as class 10th and 12th passing certificates, scanned copy of photograph and signature.
- Candidates need not to send any document to the NEST office in the entire application process.
- No correction is possible in the application form, so candidates must fill very carefully.
- Candidates have to choose any test centres preference from 91 test centres.
- After filling the form must submit the registration fee to complete the application process.
- Must take out the printout for future use.
NEST 2020 Application Fee
Candidates must check the NEST application fees 2020 in the given below table:
Mode of Payment: The applicants can make the payment by using Credit card/ Debit card/ Net–Banking.
NEST Registration Fee
|General and OBC (Male candidates)||Rs. 1200/-|
|SC/ST/PwD (Male candidates)||Rs. 600/-|
|Female (all categories)||Rs. 600/-|
|Divyang Category||Rs. 600/-|
- The application fee will not be accepted via any other mode.
- There will no refund of fee in any case.
NEST 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must check their NEST 2020 eligibility before applying for the entrance exam. The list of criteria are mentioned below:
- Age Eligibility Criteria: Candidates of General/OBC category candidates must be born on or after August 01, 2000, and age limit is relaxed by 5 years for SC / ST / PwD candidates.
- Education Qualification: Candidates must pass the class 10th and 12th examinations from any recognized board.
- Minimum Marks: Candidates must secure an aggregate 60% marks in class 12th board examination. For SC/ST/PwD students need 55% marks.
- Compulsory Subjects: Candidates should be from science stream only. They must have physics, chemistry, mathematics and biology in class 11th and 12th
Candidates can go through the NEST Seat Reservation
Please check the category wise seat reservation distribution below in the table:
Seat Reservations For NEST 2020
|OBC/NCL(Other Backward Classes/Non–Creamy Layer)||27%|
|Scheduled Caste (SC) / Scheduled Tribe (ST)||15%|
|A person with Disabilities (PwD)||5%|
|The quota for students from Jammu and Kashmir (JK)||2 seats in both the institute|
NEST 2020 Syllabus
- General Section
- This section is to test the candidate's aptitude for a career in Science.
- Some questions will be designed to test the grasp of mathematics up to 10th standard and application capabilities of the same to simple problems.
- Cell Theory
- Genetics and Evolution
- Humans and Environment
- Measurements in chemistry
- Mole Concepts
- Gaseous & Liquid states
- Atomic Structure & Chemical Bonding
- Chemical Equilibrium
- Chemical Kinetics
- Solid State
- Analytical geometry
- Differential calculus
- Integral calculus
- Thermal Physics
- Electricity and magnetism:
NEST 2020 Answer Key
The answer key of NEST 2020 is released online on the website of NEST. To check the answer key the candidates will need not use their login details. The answer key is made avgailable in the PDF format. On the answer key, they can check the questions and the correct answer to the question. The candidates will not be given any challenge facility.
NEST 2020 Result
The appeared candidates will be able to check the result for NEST 2020 in the second week of June 2020 on the official website of the authorized body. The body will prepare a separate merit list for providing admission.
- The percentile score will be calculated based on the relative performance of all the candidates in the respective session.
- The scorecard can be downloaded & the candidates are advised to get the printout of the result for further use.
NEST 2020 Merit List
The final ranking of a candidate will be based on percentile scores calculated from the best three subject scores and the general section score. NISER and CEBS will publish separate merit lists. The details are mentioned below:
Section-wise Minimum Admissible Score ( SMAS)
- The total score of each candidate will be the direct sum of his/her score in the general section and his/her best three scores in the subject sections.
- For each section, “20% of the average of the best 100 scores in that section” will be considered as Section-wise Minimum Admissible Score (SMAS).
- SMAS for OBC candidates would be 90%.
- SMAS for SC/ST/PwD students would be 50%.
NEST 2020 Tie-breaking for merit list
In case 2 or more candidates scores the equal marks then following ways will be applied to break the ties:
- Candidates with higher score in the general section will be ranked higher.
- If the tie is still there, the best scores in the subject section of the two candidates would be compared. The student with the better score in any of the subject section would get a better rank.
- If the tie still persists, the students would be given same provisional rank at the time of declaration of the result and the tie would be broken by comparing class 12th marks and date of birth.
NEST 2020 Counselling
National Entrance Screening Test (NEST) counselling 2020 will be done for the qualified candidates after the result will be disclosed by the authority.
- The first counselling of NISER Bhubaneswar & CEBS Mumbai will be done in July 2020.
- Applicants will have to carry documents like- Admit Card, 10th & 12the mark sheet, degree certificate, caste certificate, etc.
NEST 2020 Exam Centres
The test centres details can be checked below in the table:
Test Centres for NEST 2020
|States||Number of Centres|
|Jammu & Kashmir||02|
The candidates will have select any five cities as per their preference.
NEST Highlights 2020
The highlights for the NEST 2020 exam is given below in the table:
|Exam Name||National Entrance Screening Test |
|Conducting Body||National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER)|
|Level of Exam||National Level|
|Frequency||Once a year|
|Exam Mode||CBT Mode|
About National Institute of Science Education and Research
The NISER was established in the year 2006. The National Institute of Science Education and Research is one of the best in the field of basic Science and Research and is mainly known for its quality education and infrastructure. The Physics & Mathematics departments of NISER are best in the country mainly due to association with HBNI and BARC (under DAE).
The NISER is dedicated to graduate education & research only. It offers MSc as well as PhD degrees and applied sciences. Those performing well in MSc have a chance to be absorbed in R&D units and autonomous research institutions of the Department of Atomic Energy. NISER has eight schools these are:
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Chemical Sciences
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- Center for Interdisciplinary Sciences
- School of Earth and Planetary Sciences
- School of Computer Sciences
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Physical Sciences
About National Entrance Screening Test (NEST)
The NEST is a mandatory test for admission to the 5-year Integrated MSc programme in basic sciences - Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics - at National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar and University of Mumbai - Department of Atomic Energy's UM-DAE CBS, Mumbai.