CAT Exam Pattern 2021 will be released by Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode. Common Admission Test question pattern consists of 26 questions in the VARC and QA section and 24 questions in the DILR section. The duration of the CAT 2021 examination will be 02 hours (120 Minutes) and for each section, the time limit will be 40 Minutes. Read the whole article to know more about CAT 2021 Exam Pattern.
CAT Exam Pattern 2021 Important Points
Applicants can check hereunder CAT 2021 Question Paper Pattern:
- CAT Exam 2021 is a computer-based test but not an online test i.e. candidate cannot use the internet while giving the exam.
- DURATION OF THE EXAM: 3 hours.
- CAT EXAM 2021 is divided into 3 sections of 60 minutes each. The 3 sections are as follows; VARC-Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, DILR-Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning and QA-Quantitative Ability.
- Candidates cannot move from one section to another during the 1 hour assigned to the particular section.
- Candidates taking the CAT test could not leave their seats during the exam.
- Non-MCQs in CAT exam pattern will require the candidate to type-in the correct answer on the computer screen.
- Each correct answer in CAT exam pattern will be given 3 marks even if it is an MCQ or Non-MCQ.
- Each wrong answer for MCQ will be imposed a penalty of the 1/3rd negative mark (-1 mark)
- CAT exam pattern follows the pattern of CAT official Mock test released by IIMs a month before the CAT exam.
CAT Exam Pattern 2021
The detailed information regarding the CAT Exam Pattern is given below.
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about CAT Exam Pattern 2021: Sectional Composition, Marking Scheme - Admissions
|Number of sections||03|
|Questions with negative marking (MCQs)||75|
|Questions without negative marking (Non-MCQs)||25|
|Score awarded for each correct answer||03|
|Negative marking (Applicable for wrong answers in MCQs)||-1|
|Individual time limit [Each Section]||1 hour|
CAT 2021: Sectional Exam Pattern
VARC (Verbal Ability and Reading Composition)
|No. of MCQs||24 to 27|
|No. of non-MCQs||7 to 10|
|Total RC passages||05|
|RC based questions[all MCQs]||24|
|Verbal Ability Questions[ mix of MCQs and not- MCQs]||10|
|LOD||Moderate to difficult|
DILR (Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning)
|Share of DI questions||16|
|Share of LR questions||16|
|LoD||Moderate to difficult|
QUANT: Quantitative Ability
|MCQs||23 To 27|
|Non-MCQs||7 To 11|
|LoD||Moderate to Difficult|
CAT 2021 Pattern: Sectional Composition
The CAT Exam Pattern 2021 contains sectional composition and list is given below.
|Section name||Total questions||Total MCQs [with negative marking]||Total MCQs [without negative marking]||Total maximum marks|
|VARC||34||24 to 27||7 to 10||102|
|Quant||34||23 to 27||7 to 11||102|
- VARC – Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- DILR – Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- QUANT- Quantitative Ability
Responding to queries regarding the question of whether the CAT is an online test or not. IIMs reply that CAT is a computer-based test but not an online test. As they said in an official statement “CAT is not an online exam. It is a digital or Computer Based Test (CBT); not an Internet-Based Test (IBT); that is, a candidate will not take the exam on an internet site. Instead of reading the questions in a paper booklet and darkening the ovals on answer sheet, a candidate will read the questions on a computer terminal and choose an answer by clicking on the correct option”.
CAT PATTERN: Changes Since Computerization
|Year||Total No of Qs||VA||DI-LR||Quant||Difficulty level|
|CAT 2017||100||VARC-34. RC-24, (All MCQs), Verbal-10 (3 MCQs, 7 on-MCQs)||DILR-32, DI-16, LR-16, MCQs-24, Non-MCQs-8||Total-34. MCQs 23, Non-MCQs-11||Moderate|
|CAT 2016||100||VARC-34, RC-24, (All MCQs), Verbal-10 (All non-MCQs)||DILR-32, DI-16, LR-16, MCQs-24, Non-MCQs-8||Quant-34, MCQ-27, Non-MCQs-7||Moderate to difficult|
|CAT 2015||100||VARC -34, RC-24 (MCQs), Verbal-10 (Non-MCQs)||DILR-32, DI-16, LR-16, MCQs-24, Non-MCQs-8||Quant-34, MCQs-24, Non-MCQs-10||Moderate to difficult|
|CAT 2014||100||50 VARC-34 LR-16||–||50 Quant-34 DI-16||Moderate to difficult|
|CAT 2013||60||30 10 verbal 10 RC 10 LR||30 DI-10||Moderate to difficult|
|CAT 2012||60||30 (LR 10) 10 verbal 10 RC 10 LR||–||30 (DI 10)||Moderate to difficult (Difficulty level was more or less maintained to the same level.|
|CAT 2011||60||30(LR 10)||–||30(DI10)||Moderate to difficult-LOD>2|
|CAT 2010||60||20||20||20||Moderate to difficult-LOD>2|