Marine Engineering is the branch of engineering that deals with the construction as well as the operation of mechanical equipment of sea-going crafts, docks, and harbor installations. The technologies and techniques that one learned during marine engineering are used for creating cruise ships, oil platforms, and harbors. Marine engineers have the overall responsibility of the ship’s technical management including the selection of steam turbines, gas turbines, and diesel engines for the designing of mechanical, electrical, fluid, and control system throughout a vessel. Read this complete article to get more information about Marine engineering.
Specialties in Marine Engineering
The following are the specialties that are offered under Marine Engineering.
- Naval Architect: These are concerned with the overall design of the ship and its propulsion throughout the water. It is the first step in the overall design of the ship and to creates the guidelines that will lead to the actual construction.
- Mechanical Engineering: These engineers design the main propulsion plant, the powering and mechanization aspects of the ship functions such as steering, anchoring, cargo handling, heating, ventilation, interior and exterior communication, air conditioning, and the other requirements. Electrical power generations and distribution systems are typically by the suppliers.
- Oceanographic Engineering: It is concerned with the mechanical, electrical, and electronic and computing technology deployed to support the oceanographic and also falls under the umbrella of marine engineering.
- Offshore Engineering: It is the design and the construction of fixed and floating marine structures such as oil platforms and offshore wind farms.
Skills required for Marine Engineering
If a candidate wants to build his or her career in the field of marine engineering, then he/she must have the following skills.
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about Marine Engineering Course Details: Specialties, Skills, Career - Admissions
- Excellent communication skills
- Good Problem-solving skills
- Team spirit
- Time management skills
- Computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) skills
- Excellent mathematical skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Good technical knowledge
- Proven negotiation skills
- Efficient planning skills
- Budget management skills
The eligibility criteria of candidates who want to take admission is listed below.
- In the case of regular B.E. or B.Tech Marine Engineering program, candidates age should be between 17 to 25 years of age. In the case of lateral entry, there is no lower age limit and the upper limit is the same as to the regular i.e 25 years.
- Candidate must be passed in 12th class with Physics, chemistry, and maths as their compulsory subjects.
- If a candidate wants to take admission in IITs, then it is mandatory that the candidate has to qualify the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE).
- For admission in the Postgraduation, the aspirant must have completed their graduation in B.E or B.Tech in Mechanical or Marine Engineering from a recognized university and must have scored a minimum of 50% to 60% aggregate marks.
- For the lateral entry in B.Tech in the Marine Engineering program, a candidate must have completed the diploma course in Mechanical or Marine Engineering from a recognized institute or university and must have scored at least 60% aggregate marks.
Marine Engineering Courses
List of courses are mention here:
- Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Marine Engineering
- Diploma in Marine Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Naval
- Architecture and ocean engineering
- Master of Technology in Air Armament
- Master of Engineering in Marine Engineering
- Master of Technology in Marine Engineering
- Master of Technology in ocean
- Engineering and Naval Architecture
Colleges offering Marine Engineering
The following are the best colleges that offered Marine courses.
|Name of the Institute||Location|
|International Institute of Maritime Science||West Bengal|
|College of Engineering||Andhra Pradesh|
|Maharastra Academy of Naval Education and Training||Maharastra|
|Marine Engineering Research Institute||West Bengal|
|Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies and Research||Mumbai|
|Indian Institute of Technology(IIT)||Madras|
|Toline Maritime Institute(TMI)||Pune|
|Cochin University of Science and Technology||Kochi|
|International Maritime Institute||Greater Noida|
|VELS School of Maritime Studies||Chennai|
A career in Marine Engineering
There are a lot of opportunities for candidates who have studied Marine engineering. The job of a marine engineer is not only just limited to construction or maintenance of ships or boats. But it is extended up to the project management and control responsibilities too. The various jobs that are offered to a student qualified in marine engineering are listed below.
- Trainee marine engineer
- Sales engineers
- Junior Sales engineer
- Engineering managers
- Structural engineers
- Submarine designer
- Third assistant engineer
- Fourth assistant engineer
- Marine equipment designers
- Dock engineer
- Chief engineer
- Chief Electrical tech officer
- Navy personnel
Companies that Hire Marine Engineers
The name of popular companies that hires marine engineers are listed below.
- SMEC Automation Pvt Ltd.
- Marintek Design and Engineering Pvt Ltd.
- American Cruise lines
- GMMCO Ltd
- GE Shipping Co. Ltd
- Carnival Cruise line
- TMC Shipping Pvt Ltd.
- ITT Shipping Pvt Ltd.
Check Popular Courses After 12th Here.