Speech-language and hearing course is a Paramedical and Rehabilitation course that includes the study of anatomy, physiology, pathology(diseases or disorders) of hearing and speech, and rehabilitation. Speech Therapy is an allied branch of health science that is related to the disorder of speech, voice, and language of a person. Speech Therapists help people having problems with speech and language and who are lacking in fluency. Speech Therapists are also known as Speech-Language Pathologists (SPLs) and speech pathologists. SLPs also plays an important role in the diagnosis and treatment of autism spectrum disorder Read this complete article to get more information about Speech-Language and Hearing Course.
What is the Eligibility Criteria of Speech-Language and Hearing?
The eligibility criteria of candidates who want to build their careers in the field of speech-language and hearing courses are listed below.
- Candidate must have completed 12th class or its equivalent from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology as their compulsory subjects with at least 55% aggregate marks.
- For admission in the post graduation course, the candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in the related field.
Courses offered Speech-Language and Hearing
The following are the courses that are offered under the speech-language and hearing course.
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about Speech-Language and Hearing Course: Eligibility, Courses, Career - Admissions
Diploma or Certificate Courses:
- Diploma in Hearing, Language, and Speech(DHLS) – 1 year
- Diploma in Hearing Aid and Earmould Technology (DHAET)
- Post Graduate Certificate Course in Auditory-Verbal Therapy(PGCAVT) – 6 Months
- Bachelor of audiology and speech-language pathology(BASLP) – 4 Years
- B.Sc in Speech and Hearing – 3 Years
- Master of audiology and speech-language pathology(MASLP) – 2 Years
- M.Sc in Speech and Language Therapy – 2 Years
- M.Sc in Audiology – 2 Years
- M.Sc in Speech Langauge Pathology – 2 Years
- Ph.D. in Audiology
- Ph.D. in Speech-Language Pathology
Colleges offering Speech-Language and Hearing Course
The following are the best and popular colleges in India that are currently offering speech-language and hearing courses.
|Name of the college||Location|
|Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research||Chandigarh|
|All India Institute of Medical Science||Delhi|
|University of Chennai||Chennai|
|University of Mysore||Karnataka|
|Kasturba Gandhi Medical College||Manipal, Karnataka|
|Institute of Nursing||Mangalore|
|JM Institute of speech and hearing||Patna|
|Indian Institute of Health Education||Patna|
|Medical Trust Hospital||MG Road, Cochin|
|Sri Ram Chandra Medical Institute||Porur, Chennai|
|All India Institute of Speech and Hearing(AIISH)||Mysore|
|Institute of Speech and Hearing||Bengaluru|
|University of Bombay||Mumbai|
|TN Medical College||Mumbai|
|Osmania university||Andhra Pradesh|
Skills Required to Become a Speech Therapists
The following are the skills that a candidate must have if he/she wants to build their career in the filed of Speech-language and Hearing Therapists.
- A scientific aptitude
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills
- Compassionate in nature
- Keen observational skills
- Team management skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Interpersonal skills
Career Prospects of Speech Therapists
A candidate who has completed their higher studies in the field of speech therapy has a wide range of careers.
- A candidate who has completed the doctoral degree in audiology and speech-language pathology or special education can apply for the job in Human Resource Development (HRD) in various training and research centers that are specialized in the disability sector.
- A candidate who has completed his or her post-graduation education in Audiology and Speech-language pathology as work as lecturers, research officers, or masters trainers in the institutions or medical colleges conducting the training programs or research in the field.
- Those candidates who are holding a Diploma in Hearing, Language, and Speech (DHLS) can work as an assistant to audiology and speech-language pathologist in special schools, clinics, District Disabilities Rehabilitation Centers, and Rural Health Centers.
- Those candidates who are graduates in Audiology and Speech-language pathology can practice as an independent audiologist and speech-language pathologist. They are also eligible to work in hospitals, speech and hearing centers, Hearing aid industry, mental retardation, industrial setups, and as a supervisor or research assistants in the training programs.
- Those teachers who are holding a diploma in special education have the opportunity to apply for jobs in pre-primary and primary sections of special schools for children with hearing impairments and resource units attached with the regular schools.
Job areas of Speech Therapist
- Health care institutions
- Government agencies
- Govt. Health Departments
- Nursing care facilities
- Private practice
- Medical hospitals
- Special schools
- Academic Universities
Expected Salary of a Speech Therapist
In India, the starting salary of a fresher of a Speech therapist is about Rs 2.5 lakhs to Rs 3 lakhs per annum. As the work experience increases, the salary of the therapist also increases. Speech therapists are offered a better salary in private hospitals as compared to government hospitals.