Biotechnology Engineering: Bio-Technology is a combination of Biology & Technology and it is an Applied Science course. It actually consists of basic biological sciences(molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, embryology, genetics, microbiology). It involves research and development using bioinformatics for exploration, extraction, exploitation and production from any living organisms & any source of biomass by means of biochemical engineering where high value-added products could be planned forecasted, formulated, developed, manufactured, and marketed for the purpose of sustainable operations.
Biotechnology involves research & development in four major industrial areas, including health care (medical), crop production and agriculture, non-food (industrial) uses of crops and other products and environmental uses.
Popular Courses of Biotechnology Engineering
The candidates can do following courses in Biotechnology:
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about Biotechnology Engineering: Course Details, Eligibility - Admissions
- Bachelor of Engineering in Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Technology in Bioprocess Technology
- Bachelor of Technology in Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Biotechnology
- Master of Engineering in Biotechnology
- Master of Technology in Biotechnology
- Diploma in Biotechnology Engineering
Eligibility Criteria to apply for a Bachelor’s in Biotechnology course
Those who are interested in pursuing an Undergraduate in Biotechnology will have to fulfil the below-mentioned requirements:
- A candidate seeking admission into B.E in Biotechnology should have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam with Biology, Mathematics and Chemistry as the main subject with minimum marks as per the requirements of university/college.
- Those who want to get admission in any of the IITs should have a valid score of JEE exam.
- There is no specific age requirement to pursue Biotechnology course.
- The duration of the course is of 4 years.
Eligibility Criteria to apply for a Master’s in Biotechnology course
Those who are interested in pursuing a Postgraduate in Biotechnology will have to fulfil the below-mentioned requirements:
- Applicants should have passed B.E in Biotechnology with a minimum score as per the requirements of the university/institution.
- To be eligible for M.Tech in Biotechnology one should have a valid GATE score.
- The course duration if of 2 years.
Eligibility Criteria to apply for a PG Diploma in Biotechnology course
Those who are interested in pursuing PG Diploma in Biotechnology will have to fulfil the below-mentioned requirements:
- One should have a degree in any branch of biological sciences with a minimum of 45% of marks in the qualifying degree.
- The maximum duration of the course is 2 years.
Top 20 Colleges for Biotechnology in India
Below is the list of colleges which are offering Biotechnology courses:
- Indian Institute Of Technology Madras: It offers M.Tech in Biological Engineering, M.S. in Biological Sciences, PhD in Biological Sciences, Biological Engineering, Computational Biology, Chemical Sciences, M.Tech in Clinical Engineering and PhD in Biomedical Devices & Technology and M.Tech Bioprocess Engineering.
- Indian Institute Of Technology Kharagpur: B. Tech in Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering, M.Tech. programs in Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering, Research areas are Antibiotic Resistance mechanisms, Antimicrobial & Anticancer Lipopeptides, Antimicrobial peptides, Bacterial biofilm formation, Bacterial cell shape, Immunotechnology, Mechanistic studies of RecQ helicases, Microbial Fuel Cell, etc.
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Guwahati: B.Tech in Biotechnology and Bioengineering, M.Tech (Biotechnology, Doctoral (research areas – Cell signalling, Enzyme and Microbial Technology, Systems Biology, Protein Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Immuno Parasitology, Biofuel, Biochemical Engineering, Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials, Stem Cell Biology, Cell Therapy& Regenerative Medicine, Organelle Biology, Inter-organelle Communications, Cellular Ageing, Bio-interfaces and Biomaterials, Environmental Biotechnology, Nanobiotechnology, etc).
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi: B.Tech in Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Dual Degree Program: Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) and Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Master of Science – M.S. (Research) in Biochemical Engineering and Bio-technology and PhD in Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology.
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay: M.Sc in Biotechnology, M.Tech Biomedical Engineering, M.Sc-PhD dual degree program, PhD in (Biotechnology) and BME(Biomedical Engineering).
- Vellore Institute Of Technology: B. Tech. Biotechnology, B.Tech. Bioengineering, M.Sc. Biotechnology, M.Sc. Biotechnology (5 Year Integrated), M.Tech. Biotechnology, and PhD program.
- PSG College Of Technology: B.Tech in Biotechnology, M.Tech, M.S and PhD
- National Institute Of Technology, Warangal – B.Tech in Biotechnology and PhD
- BHU, Varanasi – M.SC in Biotechnology & PhD in Biotechnology
- National Institute Of Technology, Durgapur – B.Tech. program in Biotechnology, M.Tech in Biotechnology and PhD in Biotechnology.
- Manipal Institute Of Technology– B.tech in Biotechnology and M.Tech in Industrial Biotechnology
- BMS College of Engineering – B.E Biotechnology, Research areas of Biotechnology are Plant Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Wastewater Treatment, Biochemistry, Nanotechnology, Bioenergy, Biochemical Analysis, Bioproduction and cancer research.
- Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology– B.E in Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, Microbiology, Immunology, Bioprocess Engineering, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics are the research areas.
- PES Institute of Technology– B.Tech in Biotechnology, M.tech in Biotechnology, P. G Diploma in Pre-Clinical, Clinical Research, Biostatistics and Data Management, M Sc(Engineering) by Research and PhD in Bio-technology Engineering.
- SASTRA University – B.Tech/M.Tech Dual Degree in Biotechnology, M.Sc.in Biotechnology, M.Tech Industrial Biotechnology, M.Tech Chemical Engineering and M.Sc. in Chemistry. The research area are Industrial Microbiology, Bioremediation, Plant Cell Culture, Metabolic Engineering, Gene Therapy, Phytochemistry, Environmental Biotechnology, Tissue Engineering, Drug Delivery, Bio-Sensors & Fermentation Technology
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur- B.Tech & PhD in Biotechnology
- GITAM University– M.Sc in Biotechnology, five-year M.Sc. Integrated Biotechnology program and PhD and M.Phil. Programs
- Karunya University– B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Sc., M.Phil and PhD (Biotechnology)
- Jawaharlal Nehru University– M.Sc in Biotechnology and PhD in Biotechnology(Molecular biology and Genetic engineering, Molecular biology of infectious diseases, Immunology, Protein Engineering, Protein stability, conformation and folding, Structural biology and bioinformatics, Molecular Cell Biology, Cancer cell biology: Diagnostics and vaccines)
- Indian Institute of Science Bengaluru
Job Opportunities for Biotechnology Engineers
Biotechnologists can find jobs in India in the below-listed fields:
- Drug and pharmaceutical research
- Public funded laboratories
- Environment control
- Waste management
- Food processing
- Bio-processing industries
List of Biotech companies in India
Here are the most popular Biotech companies in India:
- Biocon Limited
- Serum Institute of India
- Panacea Biotec Ltd.
- Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd.
- GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Bharat Serums & vaccines Ltd
- Indian Immunologicals Ltd
- Shantha Biotechnics Ltd
See Popular Courses After 12th here.