Anthropology is the study of humans, their behaviour as well as their cultural and biological conditions. Anthropology is the science which deals with the study of humans and its origin. It takes a different and a broader approach for understanding the aspects of human experience. Candidates who opt for Anthropology courses, learn how to consider past and present through archaeology, learn how humans groups lived for hundreds or thousands of years and what was important to them. Also, Candidates who have interest in knowledge of humans and how they developed etc can get admission in Anthropology. Candidates may read the whole article for complete details regarding the Anthropology courses.
What is Anthropology?
Anthropology is the study of humans and their development. It is a subject for the knowledge of how biological bodies, genetics as well as our bones developed. Candidates who learn this also compare humans with the animals to see what makes us difference and what is common.
Ongoing Application Forms - 2020
Anthropology is generally divided into four parts i.e
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about Anthropology Courses Details: Courses, Career, Jobs - Admissions
1.Archaeology, or archaeology
- Archaeology involves the study of human culture by analyzing the objects made by humans.
- Archaeologists carefully study things such as locations of houses, trash pits and burials in order to calculate the lives of people.
- They analyse human teeth and bones to gain information about peoples diet and diseases they have suffered.
- Biological Anthropology is the learning of how humans adapt to different environments, what causes diseases and early death and how humans evolved from other animals.
- Anthropologists are also interested in how biology and cultural work shaped our lives.
- They explain the difference and similarities in humans from across the world.
3. Cultural Anthropology
- Cultural Anthropology is the study of how people in different places live and understand the world around them.
- Also, Cultural anthropologists explore what humans think and how they interact with others.
- They try to understand the perspectives, practices and social organisations of different groups whose lifestyle and values are different.
4. Linguistic Anthropology
- Linguistic Anthropology is the study of how different people communicate through each other.
- Lingual Anthropologists explores how people of different languages relate to each other.
- They check the way humans use language to build and share meaning, to form or change identities etc.
How to Become an Anthropologist?
|Path||Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post Graduation|
|Class XII with Science Stream||Pursue B.Sc. Anthropology for 3 years||Pursue M.Sc Anthropology for 2 years in India or Abroad||Post Graduate Diploma in Anthropology for 1 year|
|Class XII with Humanities Stream||Pursue B.A(H) Anthropology for 3 years||Pursue M.A Anthropology for 2 years in India or Abroad||Post Graduate Diploma in Anthropology for 1 year Pursue Ph.D in Anthropology|
|Class XII with any Stream||Pursue Bachelor’s Degree in History/Anthropology and/or related fields such as Sociology/ Psychology , etc.||Pursue Master’s Degree in Anthropology in India or Abroad||–|
Scope of Anthropology Courses
There is a huge scope of Anthropology in India as well as abroad. A candidate can make his/ her career in fieldwork as well as research. In India, many institutes will employ anthropologists with an Anthropological survey of India after completion of the course. Candidates can also become the professors after completion of education.
Anthropology Courses Eligibility Criteria & Duration
The details regarding the eligibility criteria for anthropology courses are given below:
|Courses||Eligibility||Duration of Course|
|Undergraduate Courses||Candidates must have passed class 12 or equivalent with biology as a compulsory subject.
Candidates must have minimum 50% marks in their class 12.
|The duration of bachelors course is 03 years.|
|Post Graduation courses||Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in the respective field.||The duration of the Masters course is 02 years.|
Skills Required for Anthropology Courses
The skill that are required for the anthropology courses are given below:
- Candidates must have a basic understanding of human diversity.
- Must be research oriented for collecting and understanding information.
- Must have effective communication.
- Candidates must have good analytical skills.
- Candidates must be prepared to do the field work.
Popular Anthropology courses
The courses offered under the anthropology are listed below:
Colleges Offering Anthropology Courses
The top colleges that provide the Anthropology courses are given below:
- Andhra University Visakhapatnam
- Panjab University, Chandigarh
- Dibrugarh University, Assam
- Guwahati University, Guwahati
- Karnataka University, Dharwad
- Sambalpur University, Orissa
- Institute of Archaeology, New delhi
Anthropology Career and Jobs
There are high career opportunities in the anthropology courses. Candidates can get jobs, can do the field work, can become a researcher as well as professor in an institute/ college. One having knowledge can work with big organisations such as WHO, UNESCO and UNICEF. Anthropologists also have opportunities in sectors such as galleries, curators, publishing houses, NGOs, archives, museums, libraries etc.
The top Job sectors for the candidates after anthropology courses are listed below:
- Anthropology departments
- Cognitive Psychology
- Neural science
- Public health