Fisheries Science is the academic discipline of managing and understanding the fisheries. It is the multidisciplinary discipline that draws on the disciplines of aquaculture including the breeding, genetics, biotechnology, nutrition, farming, diagnosis of diseases of fishes and other aquatic resources. Fisheries science is a science degree and those candidates who have studied science in the 12th class are eligible to apply for admission. Fishery course is taught in university at UG, PG and Diploma levels. It includes the catching, processing, marketing, and conservation of fishes. Fisheries education in India was started with the establishment of the Central Institute of Fisheries Education(CIFE), Mumbai in 1961. Read this complete article to get more information about Fisheries Course.
Courses Offered Under Fisheries
There are various courses at UG and PG level are offered under the stream of fisheries and aquaculture. The various courses offered under fisheries science are listed in the given below table.
|Course Level||Course Name|
|Fields in M.Sc||
|Some other courses||
Note:These are some courses that are offered under the fisheries stream.
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about Fisheries Science Course: How to Pursue, Eligibility - Admissions
How to Pursue a Career in Fishery Science?
Following are the paths to pursue Fishery Science:
|Paths||Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post Graduation|
|Path 1||Clear Class XII with Science Stream with Biology||Pursue Bachelors in Fishery Sciences (B.F.Sc.) for 4 years||Pursue Master’s in Fishery Sciences (M.F.Sc.) for 2 years||Pursue Ph.D for 3-5 years.|
|Path 2||Clear Class XII with Science Stream with Biology||Pursue B.Sc. (Hons) in Aquaculture or B.Sc. Life Science for 3 years||Pursue MBA for 2 years||Pursue Ph.D for 3-5 years.|
|Path 3||Clear Class XII with Science Stream with Biology||Pursue Bachelors in Fishery Sciences (B.F.Sc.) for 4 years/ Pursue B.Sc. (Hons) in Aquaculture for 3 years||Pursue PG Diploma in Fishery Sciences for 1 year||–|
Eligibility of Fisheries Courses
Those candidates who match the given below eligibility are eligible to apply for the fisheries course.
- A candidate must have completed the 12th class or its equivalent exam with the science subjects from a recognized board with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks.
- Candidate’s age must not be less than 16 years and should not exceed 25 years in age at the time of admission.
- Some colleges or universities conduct their own entrance exams which candidates have to qualify to become eligible for admission.
Skills required for Fisheries Courses
The following are the skills that a candidate must have if he or she wants to build his or her career in the field of fisheries.
- Good communication skills
- Good management skills
- Creativity or innovative mindset
- The skill of research-oriented
- Interest in marine life
Admission Process in Fisheries Courses
The best institutes or colleges conduct their own entrance exam for admission in the course. Some of the top entrance tests conducted for the admission to the course in India are listed below.
- LPU- NEST
In some institutions, the entrance exam is followed by a round of personal interviews. The admission process is different for all colleges whereas some institutes also provide direct admission to the candidates based on their performance in the 12th class. If a candidate wants to pursue a master’s course like M.F.Sc from the Central Institutes of India, then they have to clear the All India Level Common Entrance Test conducted by ICAR.
Colleges offering Fisheries Courses
The best colleges in India that are offering fisheries courses are listed in the given below table.
|Name of the Institute||Location|
|Central Agricultural University||Manipur|
|Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya||Indore|
|Government Holkar Science College||Indore|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar|
|Lovely Professional University||Delhi|
|Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology||Bhubaneswar|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University||Jaipur|
|Indian Institute of Professional Studies||Lucknow|
These are the some best colleges in India that are currently offering fisheries courses.
Opportunities for Fisher Graduates
Some opportunities for fisher graduates are listed below.
- State Government: Every state government has a fishery department in which fisheries graduates can apply for the post of Inspector of fisheries or Research Assistants, sub-inspectors of fisheries, AFDO, FEO, FDO and so more. Eligibility criteria for the jobs vary from each state to state.
- Central government: Candidates can apply for jobs in central agencies for the posts such as Technical officers, Assistant directors in Marine Product Export Development Authority(MPEDA), EIA, CAA, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), Indian National Center for Ocean and Information Services (NCOIS), etc.
- Nationalized banks: Fisheries graduates are also eligible to get jobs as an Assistant Development Officer in NABARD, Rural Development Officer, Field Officer, Manager in Agriculture loan section in private banks as well as in Nationalized banks.
- Private Sector: Fisher graduates can also work as a manager or as an officer in seafood processing and export units.
Career Prospects of Fisheries Courses
A candidate holding a degree in fisheries is eligible to apply for jobs in both public as well as in private sectors of the industry. A candidate who has completed their studies in fisheries course are eligible to apply for the following posts:
- Inspector of Fisheries or Research Assistants
- Sub-inspector of fisheries
- Assistant directors
- Assistant Fisheries Development Officer(AFDO)
- Fisheries Extension Officer(FEO)
- Fisheries Development Officer(FDO)
- Farm manager
- Hatchery manager
- Fisheries officer
- Fishery biologist
- Feed Mill Manager
- Aquaculture technician
- Fish farming consultant
Apart from the above posts, a candidate can also get self-employment in their own business related to fisheries. Candidates who have completed their studies in fisheries can also apply for their further higher studies.
Role of a fisher graduate
A fisher graduate is expected to do the following works.
- Checking the illegal activities and making sure that the people who are doing fishing must have a valid license to do that.
- Ensuring across ponds, rivers, and lakes that people must have the valid documentation for the fishing. In case of the absence of such documents, the fishery officer also has the right to arrest or administer the fines to the culprits.
- Acting as a consultant in fisheries and fish farms and offering them advice and guidance on how to best manage their fisheries and fish stocks as per the environmental regulations.
- Implementing relevant schemes in order to promote fishing as a recreation and a profession among citizens.
Some popular recruiters
Some popular companies that hire candidates with fisheries degree are listed below.
- Fisheries Survey of India
- A network of Aquaculture Centers in the Asia Pacific(NACA)
- Food and agriculture organization(FAO)
- World health organization(WHO)
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development(NABARD)
- National Institute of Oceanography(NIO)
- Marine Product Export Development Authority (MPEDA)
- Export Inspection Agency(EIA))
The starting salary of a fisher graduate is Rs 2.5 to 3 lakhs per annum in the private sector, whereas the salary in the government sector is completely different from that of the private sector. Depending on the education and experience of the candidates, they will be able to get a starting salary of around Rs 3 to 5 lakhs paper annum. The salary often varies from each department.
Check Popular Courses After 12th Here.