IGNOU PhD Admission 2020 Application form submission last date has been extended till 30 June 2020. It will be conducted by National Testing Agency. Indira Gandhi National Open University, largest university in the world offers high-quality education through Open and Distance Learning (ODL) mode. It offers UG, PG, Certificates and Diploma courses in various fields. Along with that, it also offers PhD under two categories: Part-time and Full time. The university has released the notification for admission into PhD programme for the academic session July 2020. Therefore, candidates seeking admission in PhD programme at IGNOU can apply for the same at official website.
National Testing Agency (NTA) will conduct the entrance test for the admission into PhD programme in the month of May 2020 tentatively.
Candidates can check here the details for IGNOU PhD 2020
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about IGNOU PhD Admission 2020:Application Form(Till 30 June),Exam(Postponed) - Admissions
- 29 May 2020: IGNOU PHD Application form submission last date has been extended till 30 June 2020.
- IGNOU PhD exam has been postponed by the authority due to COVID-19.
IGNOU PhD Admission Dates
National testing Agency (NTA) is responsible for conducting entrance exam to grant admission to the PhD course in IGNOU.
|IGNOU PhD 2020||Important Dates|
|Relasing of online application form||28 Feb 2020|
|Last date for submission of online Application form||
30 June 2020
|Date for opening the Correction Window||28 & 29
|Date of Entrance test||Postponed|
|Date of Result||08 May 2020|
|Date of Interview||To be announced|
IGNOU 2020 Notification – Application Form Extended
NTA has released the notification on 15 June 2020 regarding the extension of application form for various exams including the IGNOU 2020 Admission Test for PhD and OPENMAT(MBA). The application form has been extended until 30 June 2020. Candidates may check the official notice below:
IGNOU PhD Admission 2020 Application Form
The details regarding the application form of IGNOU PHD Admission exam are given below:
- IGNOU PhD application form has been released on 28 February 2020.
- The application has been released in online mode.
- Candidates can fill the application form through the official website.
- The last date to fill the application form is 30 June 2020(Extended).
- Candidates are advised to fill the details as per the guidelines in the application form.
- Moreover, keep a copy of the filled application form for further use.
IGNOU PhD Admission 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must ensure their eligibility before applying for the admission into PhD programme at IGNOU. Therefore, the specific eligibility criteria for each specialization is mentioned in a table below:
School of Social Sciences (SOSS)
|Anthropology (PHDAN)||12||Post-Graduation in Anthropology and Allied fields.|
|Economics (PHDEC)||7||Master’s Degree or M.Phil. Degree in Economics.|
|Library & Information Science (PHDLIS)||9||Master’s Degree and/or M.Phil. Degree in Library and Information Science.|
|Political Science (PHDPS)||3||Master’s Degree and/or M.Phil. Degree in Political Science or allied disciplines.|
|Psychology (PHDPC)||17||Master’s Degree and/or M.Phil. Degree in Psychology.|
|Public Administration (PHDPA)||16||Master’s Degree and/or M Phil Degree in Public Administration.|
|Sociology (PHDSOC)||14||Master’s Degree and/or M.Phil. Degree in Sociology or allied disciplines.|
School of Sciences (SOS)
|Bio Chemistry (PHDBC)||10||Master’s Degree from a recognized university or any other qualification recognized as equivalent thereto in Biochemistry/ allied subjects.|
|Chemistry (PHDCHEM)||11||M.Sc. Chemistry from any recognized University/other qualification recognized as equivalent thereto in such fields of study as are notified for the purpose from time to time by the University.|
|Geography (PHDGEOG)||15||M.A./M.Sc. in Geography, Earth Systems Science and Relevant Discipline of Geospatial Technology”.|
|Geology (PHDGY)||4||Post-Graduation in Geology or Geological Science or Applied Geology or Geo-Exploration or Mineral Exploration or Engineering Geology or Marine Geology or Earth Science and Resource Management or Petroleum Geosciences or Petroleum Exploration or Geochemistry or Geophysics or Hydrogeology or Geomatics or Geoinformatics or Remote Sensing and GIS from any recognized University.|
|Statistics (PHDSTAT)||12||Master Degree in Statistics / Applied Statistics. Available Research Area: Estimation and Sampling Techniques, Reliability Modelling, Statistical Inference.|
School of Continuing Education (SOCE)
|Food & Nutritional Science (PHDFN)||5||A Master’s Degree (M.Sc.) in Food and Nutrition / Dietetics / Public Health Nutrition or an equivalent grade from a recognized institution with UGC-NET qualified.|
|Home Science (PHDHC)||4||M.Sc. in Home Science with a specialization in Community Resource Management and Extension / Family and Community Resource Management / Development Communication and Extension / Resource management and Design Applications/ Extension / Extension Education and Communication / M.Sc. Home Science (General).|
School of Management Studies (SOMS)
|Commerce (PHDCOM)||7||Master Degree in Commerce or any other allied discipline from any recognized University/Institute of higher learning.|
|Management (PHDMGMT)||5||Master’s Degree and/or M. Phil. Degree in Management Studies or in allied disciplines.
The seats are available in Financial Management, Operations Management, Human Resource Management and Marketing Management.
|School of Education (SOE)||Education (PHDES)||20||MA(Education) or M.Ed.|
|School of Gender & Development Studies (SOGDS)||Gender & Development Studies (PHDGDS)||12||Master’s degree in Gender Studies or Gender & Development Studies with 55% OR
Master’s degree in other streams with one or two courses in the area of Gender Studies or Gender & Development Studies and/or with demonstrable evidence of teaching and / or research and publications in the area of Gender Studies or Gender & Development Studies.
|School of Journalism & Mass Communication (SOJNMS)||Journalism & Mass Communications (PHDJMC)||7||Master Degree in Communication or related disciplines (Social Sciences and Humanities with demonstrated interest in the Communication and Media Research).|
|Dairy Science &
|4||Master’s Degree in Dairy Science (Dairy Technology, Dairy Chemistry, Dairy Microbiology, Dairy Engineering), Food Science/ Food Technology, M.V.Sc. (Animal products technology / Livestock Products Technology / Dairy Science), M.Sc. Agriculture (Dairy Science / Dairy Technology), M.Sc. (Agriculture / Processing and Food Engineering) with B.Tech. in Dairy Technology.|
|School of Extension & Development Studies (SOEDS)||Development Studies (PHDDV)||18||Masters in Development Studies, Extension Education, Economics, Sociology, and Political Science.|
Computer & Information
|Computer Science (PHDCS)||5||Possesses BE/BTech in Computer Science / IT or Master of Computer Applications (MCA) or M.Sc. in Computer Science / IT with at least 55% marks [50% marks in the case of SC, ST, OBC (Non-creamy Layer) and Differently Abled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of UGC from time to time, or for those who had obtained their Master’s Degree prior to 19th September, 1991]excluding grace mark.|
|School of Law (SOL)||Law (PHDLE)||4||Master’s Degree in Law from a University recognized by UGC or any other qualification recognized as equivalent thereto in the field of law as notified for the purpose from time to time by the University.|
|School of Health Sciences (SOHS)||Nursing (PHDNS)||3||Master’s Degree and/or M.Phil. Degree in Nursing.|
|School of Social Work (SOSW)||Social Work (PHDSW)||11||MA in Social Work / MSW Degree from a University recognized
|Translation Studies (PHDTT)||3||Post- Graduate Degree in Translation Studies or allied Subjects viz., Literature, Linguistics.|
Education and Training (SOVET)
and Training (PHDVE)
|8||Master’s Degree in Economics, Commerce, Management,
Education, Agriculture Extension or Extension Education, Environmental Sciences.
|French (PHDFL)||2||MA/MPhil in French from an Indian or Foreign University.|
IGNOU PhD Entrance Test 2020 Exam Pattern
The complete exam pattern of IGNOU PhD Entrance Test is given below:
|Exam Mode||Online (Computer-Based Test)|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (Objective Type)|
|Number of Questions||100|
|Negative Marking||No marks will be deducted for wrong answer.|
Note: The question paper shall consist 50% questions on research methodology and 50% questions on specific subject.
IGNOU PhD Admission 2020 Application Process
Candidates are required to apply for PhD admission through online mode only. No other mode/ hardcopies of the application form will be accepted by the authority. Check further details below:
- The IGNOU PhD application form can be filled till 30 April 2020 through NTA’s official website.
- After final submission of the application form, if any changes required can be done on 01 & 02 May 2020 during “Registration Correction Window” period.
- While filling the application form, candidates must select four examination centres as per their preference.
- Candidates are advised to select the test centre very carefully as examination centre, once opted, will not be changed.
To complete the application process, candidates have to pay the application fee also, which is non-refundable. Check the category-wise application fee for admission in PhD programme below:
|General/ OBC||Rs. 1000/-|
|SC/ ST/ EWS||Rs. 800/-|
Note: The application fee once paid would not be refunded under any circumstances.
- Mode of Payment: Candidates can pay the application fee through online mode via:
- Debit Card
- Credit Card
- Net Banking
How to Apply for IGNOU PhD Entrance Test 2020?
Candidates can apply for the IGNOU PhD Entrance Test by following the below-given steps:
- Visit the NTA’s official website (ignouexams.nta.nic.in) and click on the “Application Form for IGNOU PHD-2020” tab.
- After the click, registration section will open where candidates have to click on the “New Registration” tab to begin with registration process.
- Now, after registration is complete fill the application form very carefully without any spelling mistakes.
- Once the application form is filled, candidates need to upload the recent scanned photograph (passport size) and digital signature in a prescribed format.
- Scanned Photograph – Less than 200 KB
- Signature – Less than 30 KB
- After uploading, re-view the application form before final submission.
- Now, pay the requisite application fee through Online Payment Gateway via Debit/ Credit Card, Net Banking and ATM Card.
- After successful payment, candidates will receive a confirmation Mail or SMS.
- Candidates must note down their application number as it will be required to login the PhD entrance portal for downloading admit card and result in future.
Note: No documents need to be submitted while filling online application form as all original documents have to produce at the time of Interview taken by the University.
The details regaridng the format and size of the uploading documents are given below:
|Photograph||10 – 200 KB||JPG/ JPEG|
|Scanned Signature||4 – 30 KB||JPG/ JPEG|
IGNOU PhD Admission Process 2020
Admission to the PhD programme will be done on merit, based on the performance in the Entrance Test and Interview/ Viva. IGNOU admission process includes two rounds – Entrance Exam and Interview. Check the weightage provided to both the rounds:
- IGNOU PhD Entrance Examination – 70%
- Interview – 30%
- IGNOU PhD Entrance Test will be conducted by the NTA (National Testing Agency) at national level.
- Admit card for the test will also be displayed on the NTA’s official website. Candidates need to download and print the same to appear for the examination.
- Along with the admit card, candidates have to bring an original identity proof having photograph such as: Aadhar Card, Voter ID Card, Driving License, Passport and ID Card issued by Government Agencies.
- Candidates shortlisted based on performance in entrance test will be called for interview before the Discipline specific Doctoral Research Committee.
- Only selected candidates will get the offer letter.
- If candidates called for Interview does not mean that they can claim for admission. The Doctoral Research Committee may not recommend a candidate if the discipline does not have the specialization in which he/she wants to carry out research.
Qualifying Marks for IGNOU PhD Entrance Test 2020
Candidates have to secure at least 50% marks (45% for SC/ST/OBC (Non-Creamy layers) / Differently abled candidates) to qualify the IGNOU PhD Entrance Test.
IGNOU PhD Admission 2020 Highlights
The basic information about the IGNOU PhD Admission is tabulated below:
|University Name||Indira Gandhi National Open University|
|University Type||Central University|
|Course||Doctor of Philosophy (Phd)|
|Basic Admission Criteria||NTA Entrance Test & Interview|
|Course Duration||3 – 6 Years|
IGNOU PhD 2020 Exam Centres
While Applying for Entrance Examination, candidates need to choose 3 exam center as per their preference. Find the list of exam center below:
|Centre Code||Centre Name||Centre Code||Centre Name|
|JK02||Jammu||JK04||Srinagar (J & K)|
IGNOU PhD 2020 Result
National Testing Agency (NTA) the exam conducting body will release the entrance test result on official website. Candidates should login to official website and check the IGNOU PhD 2020 result. The candidates securing minimum qualifying marks will be considered in merit list. Admission to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) course is strictly based on merit. Qualified candidates will be called for interview/ presentation round.
Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi
Indira Gandhi National University was established in 1985 by Central Government of India to cater open & distance learning education in India. IGNOU is considered on the largest open university in world with 6,52,504 fresh students in its academic programmes whereas 4,20,074 were re-registered students in 2017-18. The University started with two academic programs in 1987 i.e. Diploma in Management and Diploma in Distance Education. Now, the University gives about 228 certificate, diploma, degree and doctoral programs.