Pharmacy Course: Pharmacy is the science and the practice of discovering, producing, preparing, dispensing, and reviewing the drugs with the aim to ensure the safety, effectiveness, and the affordable use of drugs. In other words, pharmacy is the study of drugs that includes the instructions on use, selection, composition, effects, and side effects of consuming the drugs. It also involves the development of new drugs, ascertaining the quality standards, dispensing of the drugs, and making improvements in the existing drugs. Pharmacists are the experts and health professionals who have completed their education in the medicines. They can also help the patients by using their knowledge regarding medicines and their effects. Read this complete article to get more information about the Pharmacy Course.
Eligibility Criteria for Pharmacy Courses
Eligibility is the most important factor that every candidate has to satisfy to become eligible to apply for the course. Pharmacy is offered at various levels and to get admission to the pharma course, the eligibility criteria for each program are mentioned below.
- Diploma in Pharmacy(D.Pharm): Candidate must have completed their higher secondary education with the science subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics. For admission, a candidate must have completed 17 years of age at the time of admission.
- Bachelor in Pharmacy(B.Pharm): Candidates must be passed in higher education from a higher or national level educational institution. Candidate must have studied their education with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or Biology as their subjects and must have scored a minimum of 50% aggregate marks. They must have complete 17 years of age as on 31st December in the year of admission.
Note Those candidates who have completed a diploma in pharmacy ar also eligible to apply for admission through lateral entry.
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about Pharmacy Course Details: Eligibility, Specialization, Career - Admissions
- Master of Pharmacy(M.Pharm): Candidate must have completed a B.Pharm degree from a pharmacy college approved by the Pharmacy Council of India(PCI) and must have obtained the minimum 50% aggregate qualifying marks. For SC or ST candidates, there is no minimum qualifying marks.
- Doctor of Pharmacy(Pharm.D): Pharm.D is a six-year course and for admission in the course, candidates must have completed their higher education from a state or national level education board. The aspirants must have studied Physics and Chemistry as their compulsory subjects with Mathematics or Biology as the additional subjects. It is mandatory that they must have completed 17 years of age in the year of admission. Those candidates who have a completed diploma in pharmacy are also eligible to apply for admission in the Pharm. D course.
- PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences: This course is the research program in the pharmacy field. Candidates are able to pursue this course after completing their M.Phamr education from a well known recognized institution or university approved by the Pharmacy Council of India(PCI).
Specializations in Pharmacy
There are various specializations offered under M.Pharm and B.Pharm course. Candidates can select any of the following specializations as per their area of interest. The specializations under the pharmacy course are mentioned below.
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Technology
- Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Pharmacy practice
- Pharmaceutical Marketing Management
- Phytopharmaceuticals and Natural products
- Drug discovery and development
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Bulk drugs
- Drug regulatory affairs
- Industrial Pharmacy
Colleges offering Pharmacy Courses
The following are the best colleges in India that are currently offering a Pharmacy course.
|Name of the college||Location|
|National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research||Kolkata|
|Jamia Hamdard University||Delhi|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science(BITS)||Pilani|
|Indian Institute of Technology(IIT)||Varanasi|
|Lovely Professional University(LPU)||Jalandhar|
|Maharshi Dayanand University(MDU)||Rohtak|
Career in Pharmacy
There are a lot of opportunities for those candidates who have completed their studies in the field of Pharmacy. They can work in both private as well as in public sectors. After completing the studies, they can easily find a job in Pharmaceutical industries, government departments, hospitals, colleges, or universities. They can also practice in community pharmacies, hospitals, clinics. After registering with the Pharmacy Council, they can also open their own medical or drug shop. The job profiles for that pharmacy graduate candidates are hired are listed below.
- Consultant Pharmacist
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Dispensary manager
- Dispensary Pharmacist
- Hospital Pharmacist
- Community Pharmacist
- Senior Clinical Pharmacist
- Medicines management technician
- Medicines safety management
Expected Salary of a Pharmacist
In India, the starting salary of a pharmacy graduate is Rs 2 lakhs per annum. It can be increased up to Rs 3 lakhs based on the experience of the pharmacist. That pharmacist who owned their own medical shops can also earn more depending upon the sales.