Textile Engineering is one of the most popular disciplines in the field of engineering. Textile engineering spins around the colour, fabric and garment line of industries. It is the science that deals with all activities and methods which are involved in the process in the manufacturing of textile and with the application of scientific and engineering principles to the design and control textiles. Read the complete article to know more about Textile engineering.
Popular Textile Engineering Courses
There are four types of textile engineering courses in India given below:
Polytechnic Diploma Course:
- Diploma in Textile Technology/Textile Engineering
- Diploma in Fabrication Technology and Erection Engineering
B.Tech in Textile Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Technology
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Chemistry
After the completion of the PG Course
Specialization in Textile engineering
Check the list of specializations in the field of Textile engineering:
- Technical Textiles
- Knitting and Knit CAD
- Weaving and Weave CAD
- Coloration Technology
- Yarn and Non-woven Technology
- Textile Materials and Performance Evaluation
- Textile chemical technology
- Fibre science technology
- Computer application in textile
What is the Eligibility Criteria of Textile Engineering?
Candidates must have to satisfy the eligibility criteria to fill the application form for textile engineering which are given below:
|Diploma||Candidate must have completed 10+2 from any recognised board||3 years|
|B.Tech||Candidate must have completed 10+2 with physics, chemistry and mathematics as a compulsory subject.|
|M.Tech||Candidates must have a graduation degree in engineering.|
|PhD||The candidate must have completed post-graduation in the relevant field.|
What is the Admission Process of Textile Engineering?
For admission in polytechnic diploma programmes and the UG degree, the candidate must have passed class 10+2 with 50 % marks with subjects out of chemistry, mathematics and physics as compulsory subjects.
- Many of Indian colleges/universities take entrance examination before admission in any of the above-given programmes.
- For admission to PG programmes, the candidates need to give the GATE entrance examination after the completion of UG degree in the same field.
Some of the entrance examinations are given below which is conducted by the various universities in India:
Skills Requirement for Textile Engineering
Considering the role of textile engineering and to excel in the textile engineering field the candidate must possess the given below skills or qualities.
|Technical Knowledge||Good Communication Skills|
|Excellent Patience Level – able to work long hours of work||Visual Imagination|
|An interest in fashion and textiles||Knowledge and understanding of different textile processes and techniques|
Jobs and Career in Textile Engineering
An engineer from textile can find a job in quality control, R&D, production control, process engineering, sales technical, corporate management, planning and maintenance of textile machinery. Some of the job profiles in the field of textile engineering are given below:
|Sales Engineer||A sales engineer is responsible for the preparation of budgets, seek out market opportunities, follow-up inquiries, secure sales and promote sales, render technical services to customers etc.|
|Resident application Engineer||Responsible for sales and marketing, after-sales service, instrumentation, troubleshooting and complaint handling.|
|Scientist B Textile Engineering
|It is a government job offered by Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).|
|Responsible for installation, commissioning and servicing of textile machines and servicing the machines under a service contract.|
|Quality control executive
|Prepare a quality plan for the allocated components, ensure supplier motivation to achieve quality, correspond and monitor supplier quality delivery and cost targets.|
|An industrial engineer has to review production schedules cost analysis, enact quality control procedures, process flows, financial planning, work with customers and management to develop standards for design and production.|
|Textiles Engineer||To perform engineering duties in designing tools and planning engines and other mechanically functioning equipment and maintenance operation, oversee installation, and repair of equipment such as centralized gas, water, heat, and steam systems.|
|Textile Manufacturer||To oversee the production of raw materials into saleable textile products and people skills are necessary for managing several departments of maximizing efficiency, textile mill, and productivity.|
|Textile Designer||To create two-dimensional designs that can be used in the design, weave in the production of knit and printed fabrics or textile products while working in industrial and non-industrial areas.|
|Medical Textiles Engineer||To work and oversee the manufacturing and processing of medical healthcare and textiles products ranging from simple gauze or bandage materials.|
|Clothing and Textile Technologist||To develop, design, and manufacture synthetic yarns and natural and fabrics and textiles and work with a variety of materials including man-made and natural textiles, leather, fur, plastics and metals.|
Universities/Colleges offering Textile Engineering
Check the list of colleges and universities that offers engineering in Textile:
- Government SKSJ Technological Institute, K R Circle, Bengaluru
- College of Textile Technology, Behrampur, Murshidabad
- Institute of Textile Technology, Cuttack, Odisha
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Government Central Textile Institute, Kanpur.
- South Gujarat University, College of Engineering & Technology, Surat, Gujarat.
- University of Bombay, Department of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra
Colleges At Graduation level
- JNU: Jawaharlal Nehru University Engineering Entrance Exam
- BISAT: Birla Institute of Technology and Science examination
- NIT: National Institute of Technology
- DCE CEE: Delhi College of Engineering Combined Entrance Exam.
- BIHER: Bharath University Engineering Entrance Exam
- AMIE: Associate Membership of Institutions of Engineers.
- VITEEE: Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance
- AIEEE: All India Engineering Entrance Examination.
- AICET: All India Common Entrance Test.
- IIT JEE: IIT Joint Entrance Examination
- Uttar Pradesh state entrance exam
At Post-graduation level
- BITSAT: Birla Institute of Science and Technology Entrance Exam
- GATE: Graduate Aptitude Test in engineering
- AIEEE: India Engineering Entrance Examination
- PGECET: Post- Graduation Engineering Common Entrance Test.
- IIT JEE: IIT Joint Entrance Examination
Top Recruiters for Textile Engineering
Given below is the list of top recruiters for the field of textile engineering:
- Bombay Dyeing
- Mysore Silk
- JCT Limited
- Lakshmi Mills
- Reliance Textiles
- Grasim Industries
- Arvind Mills Ltd
- Lakshmi Machine Works
- Bhilwara Group
- Rajasthan Petro Synthetics
- RIL Textiles
- JCT Mills
- Bombay Dyeing
- Mafatlal Denim
- Raymond Group
Textile Engineering Highlights
Check the overview for the field of Textile engineering from the below-given table:
|Duration||For diploma- 3 years
For B.Tech- 4 years
For M.Tech -2 Years
For PhD- 1-2 Years
|Eligibility||For Diploma/B.Tech- 10+2 from any recognised board.
For M.Tech-Graduation from a recognized university with 55% marks.
For PhD- Post graduation from any recognized university.
|Admission Process||Based on the exams conducted by universities|
|Top Recruiting Fields/Areas||Mysore Silk Factory, Grasim Industries, Bombay Dyeing, Fabindia, Arvind Mills Ltd., JCT Limited, Lakshmi Machine Works, Lakshmi Mills etc.|
Check Popular Courses After 12th Here.