CAT 2018 Result date has been announced on 05 January 2019 and the exam was conducted on 25 November 2018. CAT 2018 or Common Admission Test 2018 is a tough nut to crack. It is a National Level Examination that helps candidates to acquire Management courses. Moreover, 19 IIMs (Indian Institutes of Management) in India take turns to conduct the Common Admission Test every year. The exam panel conducts this exam on a regular yearly basis. In order to procure brilliant minds around the country, its level and pattern change every year. Furthermore, this exam is only for those who want to pursue Post Graduation in Management field only. Also, This exam is generally considered a tough one and students need to be persistent throughout the mock test. Further, they need to rectify and improve their weaker areas. Its preparation generally takes time of 03 to 12 months. Therefore, aspirants commonly start preparing for the exam almost a year before the actual exam. Then, the preparation is followed by mock tests. As it is well known that it requires a lot of practice and time management skills to ace this exam.
Upcoming Application Form
- Amity University Admission Open Apply Now
- Manav Rachna University Admissions Open 2019 Apply Here
- Bennett University B.Tech Admissions Open Apply Here
- Chandigarh University All Courses Admission Open Apply Here
- Lovely Professional University All Courses Admission Open Apply Here
- Chandigarh Group of Colleges Admission Open Apply Here
Common Admission Test for IIMs & other B-Schools Latest Update
- CAT 2018 Result has been announced today i.e, on 05 January 2019.
- CAT to roll back to the offline mode from 2019.
- CAT 2018 Notification has been released on 29 July 2018. The registration has been started form 08 August 2018.
- CAT 2018 was held on Sunday, 25 November 2018. Detailed Notification for CAT 2018 had been released in July / August 2018. (IIMs reserve the right to change the test date in case of exceptional circumstances).
- Candidates can try the mock exams for preparation.
- The admit cards can be downloaded between 25 October and 20 November 2018.
- Read about CAT Cutoff and Percentile Requirements Here.
CAT 2018 Important Dates and Registration date
The schedule provided below is released by the board responsible to hold the exam. Aspirants need to keep an eye on the calendar as not much time is left. The results will be out soon after the exam date passes. Also, exam takers who are very eager to know their result can check the unofficial answer keys. These will b released as soon as the exam ends with many coaching institutes. Though it should be made sure that these are not the final answers and the solutions of the official answer sheet might differ from them a bit.
|Notification Released||30 July 2018|
|CAT Registration Starts||08 August 2018|
|Application form correction dates to re-upload documents||27-30Sep 2018|
|Admit Card||24 October 2018|
|CAT Exam||25 November 2018|
|Result||05 January 2019 (Announced)|
CAT Result 2018
- CAT Result 2018 has been announced on the official website today i.e, on 05 January 2019. Applicants can check their Results on the official website i.e, iimcat.ac.in.
- CAT scorecard will be made available via online mode through the Official Website.
- Students will get admission in various IIMs on the basis of cut-off.
- The Answer key for the Common Admission Test (CAT 2018) was released in December 2018.
- Candidates will be able to download their scorecards by Logging into the Official Website of CAT (www.iimcat.ac.in).
- IIM Calcutta will send Individual SMS to the candidates informing them of their overall percentiles.
- Over two lakh candidates had appeared for the CAT that was conducted on 25 November 2018, Sunday.
How to download CAT Result?
- Firstly, visit the Official Website of CAT.
- Secondly, log in through your CAT Id & Password.
- Also, click on “CAT Scorecard”.
- Finally, your CAT Result will be displayed on the screen.
- In addition, download your CAT Result and print multiple copies of it.
CAT Normalization Procedure
- Common Admission Test 2018 is conducted in multiple slots.
- And, It is necessary to normalize the scores of test takers from both slots.
- IIMs normalize the CAT 2018 Result and also provide scaled scores for each section along with percentiles.
- The practice is done in order to equate the scores and to ensure that none of the candidates from either slot be in an advantaged or disadvantaged position.
Percentile denotes the percentage of candidates scoring lower than that of a particular candidate. It is calculated as: Percentile = ( 1 – All India rank( No. of candidates in that subject) x 100%
Read about Normalisation of CAT Result Here.
The CAT 2018 Cutoff refers to the minimum Percentile a candidate must secure in order to get shortlisted by the participating institutes. The CAT 2018 cutoff varies from institute to institute. The expected CAT 2018 Cutoff is tabulated below:
For IIM Ahmedabad
|NC-OBC cum Transgender||65||65||65||75|
|PWD (General, NC-OBC-cum-transgender, SC)||60||60||60||70|
For IIM Lucknow
For IIM Calcutta
For IIM Indore
For IIM Udaipur
|Category||VARC||DI & LR||QA||Overall|
For IIM Bangalore
CAT 2018 Cutoff for Non-IIMs
Check the CAT 2018 expected Cutoff for Non-IIMs from below:
|FMS, Delhi||98.20 Percentile|
|DMS, IIT Delhi||98+ Percentile|
|SJMSOM, IIT Bombay||99+ Percentile|
|MDI Gurgaon||95+ Percentile|
|National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE) Mumbai||95+ Percentile|
|DMS, IIT Madras||95+ Percentile|
|XIMB Bhubaneswar||90+ Percentile|
|IMT Ghaziabad||90+ Percentile|
|SPJIMR Mumbai||85+ Percentile|
|TAPMI Manipal||85+ Percentile|
IIMs Selection procedure through CAT
The IIM Admission procedure includes the three stages given below:
- First phase: Shortlisting of candidates
- Second phase: Written Ability Test (WAT) or Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interview (PI) Rounds.
- Third phase: Final selection
Common Admission Test 2018 Counselling
- There is no provision of Counselling in CAT.
- Admissions through CAT will be done on the basis of Written Ability Test (WAT) or Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interview (PI).
CAT 2018 Application Form
The application form for Common Admission Test (CAT for IIMs Admission) is released by IIMs CAT conducting body.
- The Application cum Registration was started on 08 August 2018.
- Candidates must fulfil the eligibility criteria to fill the online application form.
- Upload your images (Photograph Dimension: 30mm X 45mm, Size: not more than 80KB) and ( Signature Dimension: 80mm X 35mm, Size: not more than 80KB) in a JPG/JPEG format.
- If a candidate is belonging to NC-OBC/SC/ST/PWD category, then they must upload the category certificate while filling the online registration.
- Finally, Take a printout of CAT application form 2018 for future reference.
- CAT 2018 Application Form Correction Dates – The exact date for the application correction window to open is not confirmed yet. It is expected that the window will open 10 days after the last date of registration.
- In the application, candidates are encouraged to provide a working email ID and a phone number.
- Most of the information related to the admission procedure is communicated online through email or phone notifications/ text messages.
CAT Application Fee
The aspirants need to pay a sum of money in order to be eligible for the exam.
- The application fee will be Rs. 1900/- for General / NC-OBC candidates.
- For SC / ST / PWD candidates form fee will be Rs. 950/-.
- The application fee can be submitted by debit/credit cards or net banking.
Download the CAT 2018 Information Bulletin Here.
Common Admission Test – CAT 2018
Admission for Indian students to the IIMs and mostly all good business schools is offered on the basis of performance of students in the Common Admission Test (CAT) and their overall percentile. Moreover some other prestigious Management Institutions apart from IIMs that consider a candidate’s CAT percentile for admission. Those institutes are S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (Mumbai), Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), MDI Gurgaon, IMT Ghaziabad, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi etc. However, the weightage given to the CAT scores may differ at different Management Institutes.
The CAT score and a lot of other factors together determine which Management Institutions the candidates will get a call from, for the next round of the admission process. Some important factors which are considered by these prestigious Business schools include work experience of a candidate, overall academic performance, participation in extracurricular activities, candidate’s performance in the Group Discussions (GD), writing assessment scores and Personal Interviews (P.I) etc.
CAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria
The candidates interested in CAT 2018 must check that they fulfil the eligibility requirements before filling up the form and applying for the exam. These eligibility requirements have been decided by the Conducting Authority. Every candidate should ensure that these are strictly met:
- Applicants must have secured at least 50% marks in their Graduation or an equivalent score at an Institution that is Recognised by the Government of India.
- In case of applicants who belong to the Reserved Category such as Scheduled Caste (SC), Schedule Tribe (ST), Differently Abled (DA) and People with Disabilities (PWD), the minimum score requirement to appear in this exam has been reduced to 45%
- In case, an Applicant’s Degree issuing Institution follows a different method of awarding scores such as grades/ CGPA, instead of marks in percentage format, the conversion of marks will be done on the basis of conversion procedure recommended or followed by that respective university / Institute/ College.
- If any University does not have such a score conversion scheme then a standard procedure will be followed for converting CGPA to equivalent marks.
- The score equivalence will be drawn by dividing the applicant’s CGPA by the maximum CGPA possible. And the result of which will then be multiplied with 100.
- Applicants who are currently in their Final year of the Undergraduate Degree Program or a Degree Program that is equivalent in nature and Recognised by the Government of India. (or)
- such applicants who have completed their Final year but are still awaiting the Results can also apply.
- Upon being selected, such candidates will be given the liberty to join the Management Degree program provisionally.
- However, such candidates will be required to produce and submit their Undergraduate qualifying Degree Certificate latest by 30 June 2018.
- The final score submitted should meet the primary requirements stated in the CAT eligibility criteria.
- IIMs will verify the legitimacy of the applicant’s documents and if they fulfill the eligibility requirements at various steps of the way.
- However, Candidates must only furnish correct documents and information throughout the admission process.
- If, any wrong or intentionally misleading information is found it will result in the rejection of applicants’ candidature.
- The selection procedure for IIMs is usually very intensive and rigorous.
- Moreover, simply meeting the eligibility criteria is not enough to ensure a place at one of the IIMs or any top-notch Management Institution.
Read about the Updated CAT Eligibility Criteria Here.
Exam Pattern CAT 2018
- Mode: The exam was organized on a digital or Computer Based Test (CBT).
- Duration: The total exam duration will be 180 minutes. Sixty minutes duration has been allotted to complete each section.
- Sections: There are three sections in the CAT exam namely-
2.Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension.
3.Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning.
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern
No. of MCQs
No. of Non-MCQs
Questions from each section
Time allotted to each section (minutes)
Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DI & LR)
Quantitative Ability (QA)
|Correct Response||Incorrect Response|
Download CAT Exam Pattern Here.
CAT 2018 Syllabus
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DI & LR)
Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)
Quantitative Ability (QA)
How to prepare for CAT?
This information is provided here to encourage the candidates to perform better Academically. Also, to ask them to prepare well for the exams if their dream is to study at one of the top business schools.
Tips to prepare for CAT 2018
- CAT Is the exam for you to crack and achieve an MBA Degree from reputed colleges of India like IIM.
- Candidates have to learn the basic topic of each Quant and Verbal.
- Revise your class 8 to class 10 math concepts.
- Make excellent command over puzzles.
- You can also go for a regular classroom programme.
Best Books For CAT 2018
Given below are some books which can help a candidate to score good marks in the exam.
|Logical Reasoning||How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude||How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||The Pearson Guide To Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT||Nisiht Sinha|
|Verbal Ability||How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
CAT 2018 Admit Card
CAT Admit Card was available to the candidates form 24 October 2018. Candidate can download their respective admit cards by entering user ID and Password. The hall ticket will contain the information like:
- Candidate’s name
- Roll number
- Test Date
- PWD status
- Download the CAT Exam Admit Card Here.
How to Download CAT 2018 Admit Card?
- Visit the CAT 2018 official website.
- Log in through your CAT Login ID and Password.
- Click on the tab ‘CAT Admit Card’.
- The admit card of CAT 2018 will appear on the screen.
- Download the Admit card and keep a soft copy for future use.
- As it the most important document to enter the examination hall.
Details about Reservation in CAT Exam
A definite number of seats are reserved for candidates belonging to any of these categories:
|Category||Percentage of seats reserved|
|Scheduled Caste or SC –||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe or ST –||7.5%|
|Other Backwards Classes or OBC –||27%|
|Differently Abled –||3%|
- Candidates belonging to the Reserved Categories listed above must read the information booklet carefully.
- Accordingly, they should abide by the rules laid down by the CAT conducting body.
- Further, the Government has made provisions to accommodate people from all categories.
- However, the candidates belonging to all these categories will still have to fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria to write the exam.
- Not only this, they need to score a minimum required marks in the CAT exam to secure admission at one of the IIMs.
- Also, candidates belonging to the OBC category must check an updated list of caste included in Central List by the National Commission of Backward Classes, Government of India.
COMMON ENTRANCE TEST HIGHLIGHTS
Name of Exam of Examination
|Common Entrance Test|
Commonly Known As
Exam Conducting Body
Indian Institute of Management
National Level Exam
Purpose of Exam
|Admissions into MBA/PGDM courses|
Mode of Examination
|Duration of the exam||
CAT Exam Centres
Two new exam states have been added to the list last year – Mizoram and Nagaland.
|Exam State||Exam Cities|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Port Blair|
|Andhra Pradesh||Tirupati, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam, Chittoor, Kurnool, Nellore, Kakinada, Guntur, Chirala, Rajahmundry, Vizianagaram|
|Assam||Guwahati, Dibrugarh, Jorhat, Silchar, Tezpur|
|Bihar||Muzaffarpur, Patna, Purnea, Aurangabad, Gaya, Darbhanga|
|Chattisgarh||Bhillai, Raipur, Bilaspur|
|Gujarat||Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara, Ahmedabad, Anand, Gandhinagar, Mehsana|
|Haryana||Panipat, Rohtak, Hisar, Ambala, Kurukshetra, Karnal|
|Himachal Pradesh||Shimla, Hamirpur|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Jammu, Samba|
|Jharkhand||Bokaro, Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Dhanbad, Hazaribagh|
|Karnataka||Belagavi(Belgaum), Bengaluru, Dharwad, Hubballi(Hubli), Kalaburagi(Gulbarga), Mangaluru(Mangalore), Mysuru(Mysore), Shivamogga(Shimoga), Udupi|
|Kerala||Kannur, Ernakulam, Kollam, Kottayam, Kozhikode, Thrissur, Trivandrum|
|Madhya Pradesh||Bhopal, Gwalior, Indore, Jabalpur, Sagar, Satna, Ujjain|
|Maharashtra||Amravati, Ahmednagar, Aurangabad-Maharashtra, Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nashik, Pune, Raigad, Satara, Solapur, Ulhasnagar|
|Odisha||Balasore, Berhampur, Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Dhenkanal, Rourkela, Sambalpur|
|Punjab||Amritsar, Bhatinda, Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Mohali, Pathankot, Patiala, Sangrur|
|Rajasthan||Ajmer, Alwar, Bikaner, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota, Sikar, Udaipur|
|Tamil Nadu||Chennai, Coimbatore, Madurai, Salem, Tirunelveli, Trichy|
|Telangana||Karim Nagar, Warangal, Hyderabad|
|Uttar Pradesh||Agra, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bareilly, Gorakhpur, Jhansi, Kanpur, Lucknow, Meerut, Moradabad, Muzaffarnagar, Varanasi|
|Uttarakhand||Roorkee, Dehradun, Haldwani|
|West Bengal||Asansol, Bankura, Burdwan, Durgapur, Hooghly, Kalyani, Kolkata, Siliguri|
NOTE: Last year an estimated 2,04,370 students competed for approximately 1600 seats making it one of the most competitive exams in the country.
Official website: https://iimcat.ac.in
Read about CAT 2018 Here.