UGC NET 2023 Session Eligibility Criteria is set by the exam conducting body - National Testing Authority (NTA). It is the main conducting authority of UGC-NET 2023. National Eligibility Test (NET) is a National-Level Entrance exam conducted twice throughout a year - in June and December. The candidates must know all the information related to the eligibility criteria before filling the application form. They should know whether they are eligible or not for the exam for which they are applying. Therefore, candidates can go through the article below to know about the officially announced eligibility criteria of UGC NET 2023.
Interested candidates interested in UGC NET 2023 can read the whole of the below article, and you can find the major details.
UGC NET 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The detailed information related to UGC NET December 2023 Eligibility Criteria will provided in this article. The candidates are advised to go through the whole article to get the necessary information about the UGC NET 2023 eligibility. The application will be rejected if the candidate does not match the UGC National Eligibility Test 2023 eligibility criteria.
Eligibility for UGC NET 2023 for the candidates belonging to different categories is explained below:
- Candidates must have a minimum of 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s Degree, or similar exam from universities/institutions approved by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science and Applications, Electronic Science, etc. are qualified for this Test. The OBC candidates from non-creamy layer/Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/persons with disability (PwD) category aspirants who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s degree or similar examination are eligible for this Test.
- Candidates who want to take admission in Master’s degree or similar course or aspirants who appeared for their Master's degree (final year) exam and whose results are still awaited or aspirants whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this test. These aspirants will be admitted on the condition and considered qualified for JRF award/eligibility for Assistant Professor only after they have passed their Master’s Degree OR equal examination with a minimum of 55% marks (50% marks in case of OBC appearing in Non-Creamy layer/SC/ST/PwD category candidates). Such aspirants are advised to complete their Master's degree or equivalent examination within two years from the date of NET result with the required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified.
- Candidates from the transgender segment would be eligible for the same relaxation in fee, age, and qualifying criteria for NET (i.e., JRF and Assistant Professor) available to SC/ST/PwD classes. For this section, the subject wise cut-offs should be the lowest for SC/ST/PwD/OBC–NCL categories in an identical subject.
- The Ph.D. holders whose Master's level study was completed by 19 September 1991 (regardless of the date the result was published) are liable for a 5% relaxation in aggregate marks (i.e., 55% to 50%) for appearing in NET.
- Aspirants are advised to appear in the subject of their Post Graduation only. The aspirants whose Post Graduation subject is not enlisted in the list of NET subjects may appear in a specific subject.
- Contestants are neither needed to send any certificates/documents favoring their eligibility nor printout of their Application Form (Confirmation Page) to NTA. However, the applicants, in their interest, must satisfy themselves about their eligibility for the Test. If any ineligibility is identified by the UGC/NTA at any stage, their candidature will be revoked, and they shall be liable for legal action.
- Candidates possessing post-graduate diploma/certificate conferred by Indian University/ Institute or foreign degree/diploma/certificate conferred by the foreign University/ institute should, in their own interest, ascertain the equality of their diploma/degree/certificate with Master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), NewDelhi (www.aiu.ac.in).
UGC NET 2023 Age Limit and Relaxation
- UGC NET 2023 age limit should not be more than 30 years as of June 2019.
- Candidates belonging to OBC (Non-creamy layer, as per the OBC Central List accessible on the website: www.CNBC.nic.in) SC/ST/PwD/Transgender categories and female applicants are offered a relaxation of up to 5 years.
- Relaxation will also be provided to the aspirants having research expertise, limited to the period spent on research in the relevant/related subject of post-graduation degree, subject to a culmination of 5 years, on the production of a certificate from concern authority.
- The applicants with an L.L.M. degree will be permitted 03 years of relaxation in age.
- A relaxation of up to 5 years is provided to the aspirants who have served in the armed forces subject to the length of service in the armed forces up to the first day of the month in which the concerned UGC-NET is to be organized. Total age relaxation on the above ground(s) shall not surpass 05 years under any circumstances.
Assistant Professor: There is no upper age limit for candidates applying for the post of Assistant Professor.
Exemption (Eligibility for Assistant Professor)
- The minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant professors at Universities/Institutions/Colleges shall remain NET/SET/SLET. In this regard, exclusion from NET/SET/SLET will be governed by UGC regulations and amendments notified in the Gazette of India from time to time.
- The entrants who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRF examination before 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET.
For SET: The candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for Assistant Professor held before 01 June 2002 are excused from appearing in NET and are qualified to apply to Assistant Professor in India. For State Eligibility Test held from 01 June 2002 onwards, the qualified applicants are eligible to apply for Assistant Professor's position only in the universities/colleges situated in the State from where they have cleared their SET.