Automobile engineering or also known as Automotive Engineering along with the aerospace engineering and naval architecture is a branch of vehicle engineering and incorporating elements of mechanical, electrical, electronic, software and safety engineering that is applied to design the manufacture and operation of motor vehicles, automobiles, and trucks. Automobile engineering deals with the design and creation of vehicles used as a means of transportation by road. It is a four-year undergraduate program. The main areas of application are in car designing, operations involving the production of cars, engine designing, and fuel management. Read this complete article to get more information about Automobile Engineering.
Disciplines in Automotive Engineering
The various disciplines that are offered in automotive engineering are listed below.
- Safety Engineering: It is the assessment of various crash scenarios and their impact on the vehicle occupants. These impacts are tested against the government stringent regulations. Some of these are seat belt and airbag functionality check, front and side-impact testing and so more.
- Fuel economy/emissions: It is the measured fuel efficiency of the vehicle in miles per gallon or kilometres per litre. The testing of emission includes the measurement of vehicle emission, including hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide(CO2), and evaporative emissions.
- Vehicle Electronics: These systems are responsible for operational controls such as throttle, brake, and steering controls and as well as the other comfort and convenience systems such as HVAC.
- NVH Engineering: It is the customer’s feedback from the vehicle. This feedback is generated through components either by rubbing, rotating, or vibrating. The NVH engineer works to either eliminate bad NVH or to change it to good NVH.
- Shift quality: It is the driver’s perception of the vehicle to the automatic transmission shift event. This is influenced by the power train( engine and transmission) and the vehicle( driveline, suspension, engine, and power train mounts). Shift engagements of the vehicle are also evaluated, as in park to reverse, etc.
Automotive Engineering Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria of candidates who want to take admission in automotive engineering are listed below.
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about Automobile Engineering: Admission, Disciplines, Eligibility - Admissions
- For the admission in Bachelor of Technology(B.Tech) or in Bachelor of Engineering(B.E) course, the candidate must be passed in 12th class with the science stream.
- Candidate must have obtained the required percentage in science subjects in addition to the qualification through the competitive exams of engineering.
Skills of an Automotive Engineer
The following are the skills that an automotive engineer must have:
- An avid interest in motor vehicle engineering and design.
- An eye for the detail
- A high level of numeracy and technical competency with a clear understanding of the applications used within design and production.
- The ability to analyze and interpret the data to solve the problems.
- Good communication and presentation skills with their colleagues and clients.
- An ability to work within cost constraints
- Industrial and Commercial awareness
- The ability to work as part of a team and to take responsibilities on his/her head.
Career of an Automotive Engineer
An automotive or an automobile engineer is able to select a best-suited field for his career from a wide range. An automobile engineer can join a position at senior level management in their company. An automotive engineer can apply for the following posts in the Automotive industry.
- Automobile engineer
- Design engineer
- Material processing specialist
- Material purchase manager
- Safety testing specialist
- Quality control executive
- Research and development engineer
Colleges of Automotive Engineering
The best colleges where students can study for automotive engineering are mentioned in the given below table.
|Indian Institute of Technology(IIT)||New Delhi|
|Indian Institute of Technology(IIT)||Roorkee|
|Manipal Institute of Technology||Manipal|
|Hindustan Institute of Engineering and Technology(HIET)||Chennai|
|Madras Institue of Technology||Chennai|
|PSG College of Technology||Coimbatore|
|SCMS School of Engineering and Technology (SSET)||Cochin|
|Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI)||Mumbai|
These are the best colleges or institutes in India for the study of Automobile engineering.