Forestry is the science of planting, conserving, managing and maintaining the forests and its resources for the benefits of humans. Forestry courses include learning of ecology, environmental and resource protection such as wood, water, wastelands, endangered species, clean air, biodiversity and ecosystems in forests. There are various forestry courses in which candidates can pursue their career. Candidates can pursue their career in Forest management, Forest Economics, Commercial Forestry, Wildlife Sciences, Wood Science and Technology etc. Candidates may read the whole article for complete details regarding the Forestry Courses.
Scope of Forestry Courses
Forestry courses have a huge scope in India as well as abroad. There will be a rise in employment in this career field in the coming years also because of declining forest cover and competing demands on its resources. After completion of the Forestry course, Candidates can get jobs in private as well as government sectors.
In private sectors, candidates can get a job in zoological parks, Wildlife ranges, corporate having own platform for numbering, wildlife research institutes, Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE), Wildlife department, forest department, national parks and sanctuaries and forest nurseries.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Forestry Courses?
Candidates must check the eligibility criteria before applying for the course. The details regarding the forestry courses are given below:
- Candidates must have passed class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board.
- Candidates must have Physics, chemistry and biology in their class 12.
- Also, candidates must have qualified with minimum 40 – 50 % marks in their qualifying exam.
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in the field of forestry.
- Candidates must have a minimum 40 – 50% marks in the qualifying exam.
Note: The eligibility criteria may vary depending on the university in which candidates are applying.
The course that comes under the Forestry are given below:
- B.Sc in Forestry
- B.Sc in Wildlife
- Bachelor of science in Tree improvement and genetic resources
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Forestry
- MSc in forestry
- Master in Science in wildlife
- MSc in Wood Science and Technology
- MSc in Agroforestry
- Master of Science in Forest Products
- Master of Science in Tree Improvements
- Master in Wildlife
- Post Graduate Diploma in Forest Management
Skills Required for Forestry Courses
The skills that are required for the forestry courses are given below:
- A good attitude and patience.
- Physical fitness and stamina.
- Must be flexible to work for long hours.
- Good observation and organisational skills.
- Must have Research, analytical and leadership skills.
- Must have a good decision-making ability.
What is the Admission Process of Forestry Courses?
The process of admission for forestry courses are given below:
- Candidates can only apply in the courses after clearing their class 12 with the Science stream.
- Candidates who have cleared the All India Entrance Exam of ICAR are also eligible for these courses.
- Candidates can also get admission through the JCECE 2020 examination.
- Also, different universities of colleges conduct their own entrance exam.
- Moreover, Forest Research university offers admission to candidates on the basis of FRI University Admission test.
Career and Jobs
The candidates can easily make a career in this field by finding jobs at educational institutes, forest services companies, seed and nursery companies, biotechnology firms, food companies, plant health inspection companies, biological supply houses etc.
The popular jobs in the field of Forestry are listed below:
- Forest Range Officer
- Forestry Technician
- Forestry Consultant
- Forestry Scientist
- Agri Credit Manager
The top recruiters for this field are:
- Century Paper Mill
- WIMCO Match Industry
- Ballarpur Industries limited
- ITC Bhadrachalam Paper Boards limited.
Check Popular Courses after 12th Here.