Oceanography is the science of studying the oceans and various processes related to it. It deals with the study of physical as well as biological properties of oceans. Oceanography is also known as Marine Science or oceanology in India because it deals with the oceans. The course involves the study of ocean bed, ocean currents, waves, echo system analysis, marine organisms, plate tectonics, fluid dynamics and various other topics. The study of flora and fauna and judging their consumption is also a part of Oceanography.
There are various branches of oceanography such as biological oceanography, chemical oceanography, physical oceanography and geological oceanography. Candidates looking for an exciting stream with a bright career can pursue their career in oceanography.
Ongoing Application Forms - 2020
In Oceanography courses, candidates learn how to predict the impact of increased carbon dioxide, depletion of ozone layer, effect of fertilizers, fossil fuels and other items on oceans. Candidates may read the whole article for complete details regarding the Oceanography courses.
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about Oceanography Course Details: How to Pursue, Colleges - Admissions
What Is Oceanography?
Oceanography is the study of the ocean and all its complex relationships with the planet. This includes the study of weather, ocean currents, and sea life, and every other topic associated with the ocean.
Scope of Oceanography Courses
Oceanography is popular and has a high scope in India as well as abroad. Candidates opting the oceanography courses have a large employment opportunity. The candidates can become Geographers, Meteorologists, Oceanographers. Also, they can get jobs in both public and private sectors. There are various big firms which hire candidates of Oceanography such as Coal India, Mineral Exploration Authority, Oil & Natural Gas Corporation, Hindustan Zinc and many more.
Oceanography Courses Eligibility Criteria
The details regarding the eligibility criteria of Oceanography courses are given below:
For PG Courses:
For MSc Course:
- Candidates must have qualified BSc in any one of the given fields:
- Zoology/ Botany/ Chemistry/ Fishery Science/ Earth Science/ Physics/ Agricultural/ Microbiology Applied science or any other equivalent field.
- For M.Tech:
- Candidates must have a B.Tech degree or equivalent/ AMIE(Associate Member of Institution of Engineer) in Civil Engineering/ Environmental Science.
- Candidates must have minimum 60% marks in their qualifying exam.
- Candidates having a MSc degree in a relevant field are also eligible.
For Doctoral Courses:
- Candidates must have a Postgraduate degree in the relative discipline to pursue Phd./ M.Phil in oceanography.
- Candidates must have the minimum passing marks in their PG degree.
How to Pursue a Career in Oceanography?
There are 2 paths to pursue the career in oceanography.The paths are given below:
|Paths||Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post Graduation|
|Path 1||Pursue XII with Science Stream (PCB as the recommended combination)||Pursue Graduation
in the Biology/Physics/
Microbiology for 3 years.
M.Sc. in Oceanography/
and Fisheries for 2 years
or PhD in
|Path 2||Pursue XII with Science Stream (PCB as the recommended combination)||Pursue Bachelors of Technology for 4 years.||Pursue
Masters of Technology
in Ocean Technology
for 2 years
PhD in Oceanography
Oceanography offers Post Graduation as well as doctoral courses. The top courses offered in this field are listed below:
- Master of Science (MSc) in Oceanology
- Master of Science (MSc) in Marine Biology
- M.Tech in Ocean Engineering
- M.Tech in Ocean Technology
- M.Phil in Marine Biology
- M.Phil in chemical Oceanology
- PhD in Oceanology
Skills Required for Oceanology Courses
The skills that are required for Oceanology courses are given below:
- Brilliant Scientific and Mathematical skills.
- Must have good knowledge of different oceans of different seas.
- Excellent Practical and Problem solving skills.
- Observation skills will be an add-on to this course.
- Candidates must have good communication skills.
- Also, candidates must have good writing skills.
- Candidates must be able to do the research work efficiently.
Admission Procedure for Oceanography courses
The details regarding the admission process of Oceanology courses are given below:
- Candidates must be eligible to apply for the oceanology courses.
- Candidates will have to give the entrance exam as most of the institutes/ colleges give admissions on the basis of the exam.
- Candidates who want to pursue M.Tech in oceanology have to appear for the GATE Examination.
- For PhD courses, The universities will be conducting separate exams.
- Candidates can check the complete details in the Oceanography course details PDF.
Top Colleges Offering Oceanography Courses
The top colleges that offers oceanology courses are listed below:
- Anna University, Institute of Ocean Management, Chennai.
- Department of Physical Oceanography, cochin University of Science and technology.
- National Institute of Oceanography, Goa.
- Annamalai University, Centre for advanced Study in Marine Biology, Tamil nadu
- Mangalore University, Karnataka
- Berhampur University, Berhampur, Orissa
What Does an Oceanographer Do?
An oceanographer is a special kind of scientist who studies the ocean. The oceans are a large environment, and so the science of oceanography must be just as large.
Oceanography courses have huge career opportunities in different fields. The Jobs of an Oceanographer is usually Search oriented. Candidates can get jobs in private as well as government sectors.
Candidates can become a scientist, engineer or technician depending on their knowledge and interest. Also, they can get jobs in government sectors like Geological surveys of India, Meteorological Surveys of India, Department of Oceanography, etc.
The Top Job opportunities in the field of Oceanology are listed below:
- Ocean freight manager
- Ocean Import manager
- Maintenance Assistant
- Production Head
Check Popular Courses after 12th here.