Biomedical Engineering or Medical Engineering is the application of engineering principles and the concepts of design to medicine and biology for healthy purposes. Biomedical engineering is a four-year graduation program. The study of medical engineers involves a broad array of diagnostic and therapeutic applications. BE is the interdisciplinary field of engineering courses that deals with the study of engineering laws and techniques that are applied in the medical field. This field is trying to close the gap between engineers and medicine. Biomedical Engineers are also known as Bio/ Design/ clinical Engineers. Biomedical engineering is a newly introduced branch of engineering and compares to the other branches of engineering, the number of colleges offering the course is very few. Read this complete article to get more information about Biomedical Engineering.
What is the Eligibility Criteria of Biomedical Engineering?
The eligibility criteria of candidates who want to build their career in biomedical engineering are listed below.
- A candidate must be passed in 12th class with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics/ Biology as their subjects from a recognized board are eligible to apply for the course. Both Mathematics and Biology group students are eligible to apply for the program.
- Candidates who have appeared in the State Level Entrance Examination are also considered as eligible to apply for the program.
- For IITs, it is compulsory that candidates have to qualify the Joint Entrance Examination(JEE).
What is the Admission Process of Biomedical Engineering?
The admission process of candidates in the biomedical engineering course is listed below.
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about Biomedical Engineering Course Details: Eligibility, Career Option - Admissions
- Most of the universities or colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission in BE course like the LUPNEST or to take admissions through the commonly held entrance examination like JEE Main, UPSE.
- Students have to qualify for these exams to get admission to the program.
- After the exam is conducted, a final merit list of all qualified candidates is prepared and on that basis, candidates are invited for counselling round by the university or college.
- After the counselling round, a final allotment of seats to the candidates takes place and the selected candidate will be asked to deposit the fee for the course and to register themselves for the respective academic year.
Note: This is the basic admission process. It may include more or fewer steps varying to the colleges and universities that candidates have applied for the admission.
Job Profiles for Biomedical Engineer
A biomedical engineer can build his or her career in the following job profiles
- Bio Instrumentation Engineer
- Research Scientists
- Clinical Engineers
- Business Managers
- Technical writers
- Patent analyst
- Professors or Teachers
- Biomaterial engineer
- Biomechanics engineer
Career in Biomedical Engineer
- A biomedical engineer is responsible for the development, designing, and improvement of the medical devices.
- They are also responsible for the procedures of the efficient diagnosis, operation and the treatment of diseases and other health ailments.
- After completing the biomedical engineering, the candidate can be employed in public as well in the corporate sectors.
- Biomedical engineers can start their careers in hospitals, clinics, and health care centres.
- Many foreign research institutions, medical device consulting firms, and pharmaceutical companies of foreign countries offer good job opportunities to a candidate holding a B.Tech degree.
- An experienced biomedical engineer in the related field is also able to work with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration(NASA) and the National Institutes of Health(NIH).
- The average starting salary of a biomedical engineer is Rs 3 lakh to 6 lakh per year and the chances of building a career abroad after graduation are also very high.
Top Colleges in India offering Biomedical Engineering
The best colleges in India that are offering Biomedical engineering are mentioned in the given below table.
|Indian Institute of Technology(IIT)||Delhi|
|ACS College of Engineering||Bangalore|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Engineering||Pune|
|Dr D.Y. Patil Institute for Biotechnology and Bioinformatics||Navi Mumbai|
|Dronacharya Collge of Engineering||Gurugram|
|Government college of engineering||Pune|
|JIS College of Engineering||Nadia|
|J.B. Institute of Engineering and Technology||Hyderabad|
These are the best colleges in India that are currently offering Biomedical engineering.