Law is the main part of our constitution. A law degree is an academic degree conferred for the studies in law. Such degrees are generally prepared for legal careers. Law is the study of rules, conduct, or procedures for instituting and maintaining the discipline in society. Those students who have cleared this degree are designated as the “lawyer”. The law education is the only legal education course in India. The main regulatory body of law education in India is the Bar Council of India(BCI). In India, students can pursue a legal degree just after completing graduation in any discipline. Read this complete article to get more information Law Course.
Law Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for candidates who want to build their career in the field of law are listed below.
Ongoing Application Forms - 2020
- Candidate must be passed in 12th class from any stream.
- Students have to clear the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT). CLAT is conducted with the purpose to offer admissions to candidates in National Law Universities(NLU).
- Those students who want to pursue law courses from foreign universities or institutions have to clear LSAT(Law School Admission Test) 2020.
- Some private universities or institutes conduct their own entrance exam for selecting candidates for admission in the law program.
Courses offered under Law
The following are the courses that are offered under the field of law.
Subscribe to Get Updated Information about Law Course Details: Courses offered, Career, Salary - Admissions
- Bachelor of Laws (L.L.B): It is a three-year duration program that is commonly opted for law courses after the 12th class.
- Integrated undergraduate degrees: These are the five-year duration programs that a candidate can join after the completion of their 12th class. The integrated five-year undergraduate programs are listed below.
- B.A. LLB
- B.Sc. LLB
- BBA LLB
- B.Com LLB
- Master of Business Law(MBL): MBL is a master’s degree program in the legal education field with a specialization in the business field. This program comes under the two options of field i.e one year program and a two-year program.
- Master of Laws(LLM): LLM Is the master’s degree program in the field of law education. This program also comes under the two options of field i.e one year program and a two-year program. This program has been started in India before 2012.
- Doctor of Philosophy(Ph.D.): Ph.D. in law involves the research and academic approach to the law study. A wide range of research areas are available for the Ph.D. program including international law, comparative law, The Majority of highly reputed institutes are providing the Ph.D. program in the law field.
Key Entrance Exams for 5-Year L.L.B Programs
The top institutes in Law accept admission into their 5-year integrated program based on the scores of entrance exams.
- Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) CLAT 2020: Application Form (Till 18 May), Exam (On 21 June)
- All India Law Entrance Test (AILET) AILET 2020: Exam (Postponed), Application Form(Extended)
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT) LSAT 2020 India: Application Form (Till 22 May), Exam Postponed
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET) SET LAW 2020: Application form(Released), Eligibility Criteria
Key Entrance Exams for 3-Year L.L.B Programs
- DU L.L.B DU LLB 2020: Application Form(02 April), Eligibility Criteria, Exam
- LSAT LSAT 2020 India: Application Form (Till 22 May), Exam Postponed
- MH CET MH CET LAW 2020: 5-year LLB Exam(Postponed), New Dates
- BHU L.L.B BHU UET 2020: Exam (Postponed), Admit Card, Result
Universities Providing Law Course
The following are the best colleges or universities that are currently offering law courses to their students.
|Name of the university||Location|
|West Bengal National University of Juridical Science||Kolkata|
|National Law University||Jodhpur|
|Rajiv Gandhi National Law University||Patiala|
|Gujarat National Law university||Gandhinagar|
|Ram Manohar Lohia National Law University||Lucknow|
|National University of Advanced Legal Studies||Kochi|
|Chanakya National Law university||Patna|
|National Law University||Odisha|
|National Law University||New Delhi|
|National University of Study and Research in Law||Ranchi|
|Tamil Nadu National Law School||Srirangam|
|Maharastra National law School||Nagpur|
|Hidayatullah National Law University||Raipur|
|Symbiosis Law School||Pune|
|ILS Law College||Pune|
|Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University(GGSIPU)||Dwarka, New Delhi|
The Career in Law
Law is a reputed career option. It is a reliable, hard-working, and sincere field. A fresher who has completed their studies in law has to work under a reputed legal firm or a lawyer at the starting of the career. The law students can appear for the exam conducted by the Public Service Commissions (PSC) to get the position of the judge. A good lawyer can also work in ministry, government departments, and the various legal advice organizations. Some designations where a law student is eligible to apply for the job are listed below.
- Criminal Lawyer
- Civil Litigation Lawyer
- Legal Analyst
- Document drafting lawyer
- Legal Analyst
- Legal advisor
- Government lawyer
Salary of a Lawyer
Salay is the best part of the law profession. There is no limit to the salary of a good lawyer. After the candidate has completed his or her law course and is working under an expert, then they can earn easily about Rs 5,000 to Rs 20,000 per month as their stipend. If the lawyer is working individually in the court, then he can easily about Rs 20,000 to Rs 50,000 per month in the starting and it also goes on increasing with the experience.
Top Recruiters of a Lawyer
Some top legal firms or associations that hire the lawyers are listed below.
- Amarchand Mangalldas
- AZB and partners
- J Sagar Associates
- Khaitan and Company
- Luthra and Luthra
- Desai and Dewanji
- Titus and company
- Wadia Ghandy and Company
- Lakshmi Kumaran and Sridharan
- Vaish and Associates